Which language is best to develop Sudoku ?

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Which language is best to develop Sudoku ?

Postby gulshan212 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:57 pm

Hello this is Gulshan Negi
I am a software developer. Well I had develop various web applications and games. Now I am looking to develop Sudoku game but I have a concern about choosing programming language which can make development easy.
Which programming language I should choose? I need some suggestions on this.
Thanks
gulshan212

Re: Which language is best to develop Sudoku ?

Postby denis_berthier » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:08 am

There's no possible answer to this question.
You must first decide what your goals are.
Do you want to develop a web app or a standalone app?
Do you want your software to be portable across different platforms? This is not something you can decide afterwards. You have to take it into account in your initial choices. Many "free" softwares claim to be portable but they are not really.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Re: Which language is best to develop Sudoku ?

Postby ghfick » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:52 pm

Hi Gulshan Negi,

I would encourage you to first thoroughly explore and study the many excellent solvers that are currently available. Sudoku, as we now know it, has been around for some 20 years now. Sudoku software development began in earnest almost from the get go.

Of course you may enjoy the process of writing your own software and you might have something in mind that is truly distinctive. You might want to send a PM to some of the current developers for their views on the best language. Andrew Stuart, Philip Beeby, YZF, StrmCkr and RSW could be contacted. There are many others too.

You may wish to consider adapting or revising software that is open source. Several people have taken the original Sudoku Explainer [SE] and developed interesting revisions to SE. Others have considered revising the original HoDoKu. I understand that such a revision might be a very big task though.

Portability is a complex and constantly evolving issue. Placing software on a website is usually completely portable but then again there are issues with the choice of browser. Not all browsers work well with some websites.

I should note that I am far from up to date on any programming matters. I did write some programs in the 1970's using FORTRAN. I am currently using software called R [ but not for Sudoku projects ]. I do know there are Sudoku developers who are exploring R, Python and Julia. Python, in particular, has a huge following currently. Julia is gaining in attention though.
ghfick

Return to Software