Which advanced technique to start with

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Which advanced technique to start with

Postby scsnesrud » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 pm

How can I tell when looking for a swordfish is worth it. Or any other advanced techniques for that matter. Thank you.
scsnesrud

Re: Which advanced technique to start with

Postby JasonLion » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:32 am

Welcome to the Sudoku Players Forum!

As a basic strategy, it is worth searching for use of a technique when you have already tried everything easier to look for and not found anything useful. In the long run, other factors come in, such as the odds of the search being successful, where you get your puzzles (different sources emphasize different techniques) and what you personally enjoy doing. But those are considerations you only need to worry about once you have more experience.

By the by, this ends up being a fairly personal decision. I search for fish very early, but some people never look for fish at all. Similarly, I mostly ignore Wings, while others look for them reasonably early.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Postby SteveG48 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Another welcome.

I'm one of the people about whom Jason speaks who almost never looks for a swordfish, simply because I will almost never find one. I try all the advanced techniques with which I'm comfortable first, and then break out the rod and lures. (Are lures used to catch swordfish??) The more advanced techniques you know, the less likely it is that you'll need to use one with which you have difficulties. As Jason said, try the easiest things first and then work your way up.
Steve
SteveG48
2019 Supporter

Postby keith » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:59 pm

Let's suppose you have the basics down, which means you can solve the Friday puzzle in USA Today every time. Now, what?

IMO, the next thing you should master is the idea of two strong links and the Turbot Fish patterns. That includes X-wings, Skyscrapers, Kites, and variations of Empty Rectangles, etc. If you approach it from the point of view of strong links, there is a laundry list of named techniques you won't need to bother about, including Swordfish.

That said, it depends on where your puzzles come from. Most puzzle publishers screen their puzzles to be solved by certain techniques. The most usual is an X-wing (UK) or XY-wing (USA).

If you want some fun, try Menneske. His puzzles are not graded by specific techniques required. Try his Very Hard (0) puzzles. I find them quite enjoyable.

Keith
keith
2017 Supporter

Postby scsnesrud » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Thank-you all. You're very nice to less experienced players
scsnesrud

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques