Where do I start (although I'm not a newbie)?

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Where do I start (although I'm not a newbie)?

Postby shuriken90 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:47 pm

I've been solving Sudokus for a long time now and am interested in learning new, more advanced methods for solving them; however, I am new to this forum and don't know where to begin. Could anyone please point me in the right direction for somewhere to start learning advanced techniques?
Last edited by shuriken90 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
shuriken90

Postby TKiel » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:01 am

There are many threads in this forum that discuss advanced techniques. Perhaps if you indicated what you alread understand, it would be helpful in someone pointing you to the right spot.

Tracy
TKiel

Postby shuriken90 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:43 am

OK. I don't know if I'm gonna get any names right but this is what I know.

A. Basic cross-elimination (what can't go there based on the row, column, and 3x3 box the square is in)
B. Naked/Hidden Pairs
C. Naked/Hidden Triples
D. Choosing a position for a number because its the only place in that row, column, or 3x3 box where it can go
E. Choosing a position for a number based on the positions of the other two same numbers in that set of three rows or columns (top/left, middle, bottom/right)
F. X-Wing
G. Any combination of the above strategies (i.e. using E and F together (is that even possible?))

That's about as much as I know. The basics and a little advanced stuff but barely any.
Last edited by shuriken90 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
shuriken90

Postby shuriken90 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:15 am

One more thing...could someone at least tell me the accepted names for the techniques I know (see above)? If I need to refer to them later I'd like to be able to say something others will understand. Thanks...
shuriken90

Postby tso » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:18 am

Simple Sudoku's Solving Sudoku will take you though the intermediate tactics.

Sadman's Sudoku Techiques page goes even further.

The free Sudoku Susser comes with a PDF file that explains even more tactics -- and does so very clearly.

As for all the information in this forum, there's no royal road.
tso

Postby shuriken90 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:19 am

Cool. Thanks for the links
shuriken90

Postby Myth Jellies » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:14 am

A couple more threads you might consider adding to Tso's list.

Since you are already looking for, and perhaps understand, x-wings; you might want to extend that a little bit and and be the first in your group to discover filet-o-fish and sashimi x-wings

I have always thought that bennys Almost Linked Sets (ALS) work, particularly the ALS xz-rule, quite clever and useful.
Myth Jellies

Return to Advanced solving techniques