Where can I get some NonaGram puzzles online?

For fans of all other kinds of logic puzzles

Where can I get some NonaGram puzzles online?

Postby NonaGram » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:42 pm

I once saw some Nonagram Puzzles on a evening newspaper, but have not managed to find any online source about it.

Do you know where i can get some? Thanks
NonaGram

Postby MCC » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:13 pm

Do you mean Nonograms?

Try a search for nonograms and see if this is what you're after.
MCC

It's NonaGram, not nonogram

Postby NonaGram » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:55 pm

maybe it's a new game. I saw it on Manchester Evening News the other day.

Basicly, you try to create as many meaningful word as possible with the 9 letters given.
NonaGram

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:35 pm

Manchester Evening News has a website : Manchester Evening News

What you describe is an old game, though - the name of which escapes me at the moment! - but I seem to remember learning it at school as an aid to spelling.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:38 pm

It would seem that the only name that I can find for this game is "WORDS IN A WORD", which is pretty uninspiring but it does neatly sum up the game.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Crazy Girl » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:50 pm

This is called Polygon in The Times (although not always nine letters sometimes eight or seven) where the central letter must be used in each word, found here.

In the Daily Mail there is word wheel with the same rules as above though its normally nine letters, and Scrabble Grams where scrabble rules apply to the words.

Hope this helps

:)
Crazy Girl

Postby MCC » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:27 am

The Daily Express has a 3x3, nine letter one called the Target. The central letter must be used in all words.

I've also found one here in The Age an Aussie paper.

MCC
MCC

Nonograms

Postby loverofanimals » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:00 pm

Your definition/type of nonogram sounds quite different than the nonograms I've been doing the last few years. I first heard of nonograms in the Sherlock Holmes game, "Mystery of the Mummy". This type is more of a "picture logic puzzle" and is quite addictive.

They're done on a grid. You have numeric 'clues' for each column and row. The objective is to determine which squares to fill in. If done correctly, the pattern of black and white squares result in a 'picture'. Not all are black and white; some have several colors and are quite detailed.

The most phenomenal website for these is: griddlers.net
which is available in nearly every language. There is an excellent tutorial and a wide range of puzzle difficulty as well as variety of types, colors, etc. Another good website is: activityworkshop.net
under "Puzzles/Games". I hope you will give these a try and enjoy as much as I do. If so, and you want to share pointers, let me know! There is a very nice forum in Griddlers, also.

I am also a big fan of 'word puzzles' and although not called nonograms in my variety puzzle magazines, I do a lot of them like you described. I have not seen them online...??? Did you find a good website?

Have a wonderful, thought provoking day!
loverofanimals

Postby Lindy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:01 am

Hi Lover of Animals

I'm a huge fan of picture logic puzzles, as well. I haven't visited Griddlers. net in ages, as I get my fix from magazines dedicated to these puzzles. You might know of Hanjie and Super Hanjie, but such is my addiction that I import Japanese magazines as well! The Japanese magazines have fold-outs of extra-large puzzles, 170x80, 175x110 for example. The pictures on these are amazing.

Griddlers sounds like it's changed a lot since I was last there. Think I'll go have a look!

Lindy
Lindy

Postby MCC » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:47 am

Here's a link to Griddlers click here.

MCC
MCC

Postby Lindy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:49 am

Well now! The Griddlers site has certainly changed! Triddlers were more or less just starting out and now there's thousands of them. It's great to see multi-coloured puzzles there and those books are going on my Christmas present list.:)
Lindy

hanjie

Postby loverofanimals » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:43 am

Glad you enjoyed revisiting Griddlers. I hadn't done any Hanjie, looked them up but have to say I didn't enjoy as much... point, click, press x, z, space bar... Seemed more time consuming that Griddlers but just could be what I got used to... maybe you could recommend a couple sites...?

Gotta say your addiction must be much stronger than mine what with importing Japanese mags! I don't necessarily enjoy doing so much on paper - can make me nauseous (and I doubt I would have enough erasers!). I stick to my variety puzzles - anacrostics, logic, and various other 'word game' puzzles when not at the computer. I've never had the courage to take on one of the great big puzzles like you do but, I imagine it's very satisfying/rewarding. Some of the people in Griddler's forums talk about taking months to complete a puzzle!! You'll have to let me know how you do there. I've been doing mostly around 1 mil difficultly. I don't very often do the multi-color puzzles as a lot of them seem to be "fill-ins". I just recently started doing the Triddlers and now believe I'm going to need glasses! lol

Have a great, thought provoking day!
loverofanimals

Postby Lindy » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:25 am

One site I regularly visit is Conceptispuzzles.com, developers of graphic logic puzzles. Here they're known as PAPs (Pic-a-Pix). You will also find other types of logic puzzles. There's FAPs (Fill-a-Pix) which is a bit like the old Minesweeper game where a numbered cell tells you how many cells surrounding it are to be shaded. The twist here is that you get a picture when the puzzle is solved. Likewise with LAPs (Link-a-Pix). Join a number to its twin with no lines crossing. There's also MAPs (Maze-a-Pix) which is, of course, a maze that produces a picture on completion. Conceptis also make Kakuro, Sudoku and Sudoku variant puzzles. There are free puzzles to print out or do on-line, updated weekly. There's also a very friendly, helpful forum.

The Hanjie I referred to is a magazine published here in the UK. Not associated with the website of the same name, which I think is the one you mentioned.

I prefer paper as I have difficulties doing puzzles on the computer. I get woozy! I'm pretty sure when I first joined Griddlers way back there was a facility to print out puzzles but I can't seem to do that now.:(

Regarding the extra large puzzles. Cast your fears aside and have a go! At first they scared me. I pulled them out of the magazines and stored them out of sight. Fancy being scared of a puzzle! Anyhow, when I plucked up the courage to have a go it wasn't so bad after all. Think about this - if you can do a 15x15 puzzle then you can do any size. The strategies are still the same, just extended over a larger range of cells! Time consuming - yes, but very satisfying. I can't imagine what it would be like to try one of those on a PC, though!
Lindy

Postby MCC » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:45 am

Here's a site you might like to check out.

Games for the brain.

MCC
MCC

Online nonograms

Postby Anna » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:28 pm

Online nonograms: nonograms
Anna

Next

Return to Other logic puzzles