What it this technique called?

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

What it this technique called?

Postby docjohn » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:51 pm

I plugged this into HoDoku and it called it a Discontinuous Nice Loop. I'm wondering if has a more common name.

It is basically an AIC where the ends of the chain are different candidates. There are 4 cells and 5 links. The links between the cells are strong. The links within the cells (yellow) are weak. As a result R5C1 <> 8 It would also cause R5C6 <> 6 (if it had a 6)

Would appreciate any insight. Thanks
nice loop.jpg
nice loop.jpg (128.82 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Posts: 32
Joined: 07 January 2011

Re: What it this technique called?

Postby rjamil » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi John Musgrave,

I think, the pattern, in question, is called an L3-Wing.

(6)r4c1 = (6-5)r6c1 = (5-8)r6c4 = (8)r4c6 => -8r4c1 (and -6r4c6 if present)

R. Jamil
Posts: 604
Joined: 15 October 2014
Location: Karachi, Pakistan

Re: What it this technique called?

Postby Wepwawet » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:23 am

Hi John

I would just call it what it is, a small AIC Type 2.

Discontinuous Nice Loops can always be expressed by AIC's
User avatar
Posts: 16
Joined: 19 November 2019

Return to Advanced solving techniques