What do you do when you are stuck?

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

What do you do when you are stuck?

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:37 pm

It happens all the time. Your half way into a sudoku and then suddenly you're stuck.
What do you do? Cry? Rip up the paper? smash your computer? WHAT DO YOU DO?. go on the web? i don't know!! Someone please give me some useful info.
by the way check out this site:
www.freewebs.com/funsworld

Postby Heuresement » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:50 pm

On the rare occasions when I get stuck (not as rare as I would like), just taking a short break usually does the trick. On returning to the puzzle, where I have gone wrong is usually staring at me in the face.:D
Heuresement

Postby CathyW » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:14 pm

When I get stuck I try these:

1. Like Heureusement, take a break for a few minutes - sometimes you spot something obvious when you go back to it.
2. If it's a paper puzzle, dub it into computer program (I use Pappocom and Sadman - more usually the latter these days because of auto candidate entry which can be useful) - sometimes you spot something when it's enlarged on screen or, with Sadman and some other software, you can get the next step and the reasons for it through solver log.
3. Post the puzzle to the forum and ask for help from the other good folks who subscribe. Somebody is sure to be able to give you a clue to the next step.:)
CathyW

Postby Pi » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:30 pm

1. Take a break
2. Dub it into my spreadsheet which puts in candidates for me
3. Try harder
4. Ask my computer for help
5. Post it in the forums
Pi

Postby emm » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:45 pm

What do you do?

Sometimes I sits 'n thinks 'n sometimes I jus' sits.:D
emm

Re: What do you do when you are stuck?

Postby Cec » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:04 am

Thyqwerty wrote:It happens all the time. Your half way into a sudoku and then suddenly you're stuck..."

Hi Thyqwerty - I imagine most of us can relate to your dilemma. As well as the above suggestions if you haven't seen the following links they might help you also:

http://www.angusj.com/sudoku/hints.php
http://www.simes.clara.co.uk/programs/sudokutechniques.htm

Cec
Cec

Postby theGman » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:33 pm

When I get stuck I generally rip up the puzzle and get back to work.
theGman

Return to General