Welcome to Denmark

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Welcome to Denmark

Postby Pappocom » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:06 pm

Since June 13, Danish readers of Jyllands-Posten have been able to join in the Sudoku fun. Welcome aboard!

Pappocom's Sudoku first appeared in the Conway Daily Sun, New Hampshire, USA in September 2004, and it has appeared in The Times (of London) since November 2004.

Don't be put off by some of the complicated-sounding posts in these forums. In some parts of the world they have got quite expert already. If you want help, just send in your question, and you are certain to get a friendly reply.

- Wayne Gould (Pappocom)
Pappocom

Postby Marianne » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:44 am

Ja tak, så gik der lige en aften med det. Uha. At blive udfordret med lovning om, at det hele bare er logik.... Man kan jo ikke stoppe, før løsningen er fundet.
Samurai opgaven ligger der stadig her til morgen. Jeg ved godt, at løsningen er på side 2, men man snyder jo ikke.
Onsdagens opgave blev heldigvis hurtigt løst. Nu har jeg fattet logikken i det.
Dejligt med hjernegymnastik...
Marianne

Postby Marianne » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:12 pm

Men ikke særlig smart at trykke den samme opgave to dage i træk.
Marianne

puzzles on-line?

Postby Lars » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:03 pm

Is it possible to get the puzzles from Jylands-Posten on-line without solution or to get the number of the puzzle for the computerprogram?

Regards
Lars
Lars

Postby Uffe » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:03 am

Thanks for some interesting puzzles. After having solved a few of them, I quickly decided to write an application with all the logical rules built-in so the computer could solve the puzzles for me. With 4 main rules I'm now able to solve all puzzles, except the Samurai one (from Monday, first day).

Status of that puzzle can be seen here: http://www.routeware.dk/samurai.png

I have printed it and looked at it for hours, but I can't find any LOGICAL rule to proceed. I can guess at a few of the cells and then find the solution, but that can clearly not be the purpose?
Uffe

Postby scrose » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:36 pm

Uffe wrote:I can't find any LOGICAL rule to proceed.

You need to look for a naked triple. In column 5, look closely at where the candidates 3, 5, and 8 can go. This will let you make some eliminations to that column, and then fill a cell in block 5.
scrose

Postby Animator » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:26 pm

This grid is the same as the one posted in http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=277

Now there are three options,
a) you got the grid from this forum;
b) you got it from the Daily Telegraph;
c) someone else is spreading the grids of the Daily Telegraph (with or without reference to them)

(As a side note, I think I'm becoming crazy... I actually reconised column 5 (and the move it allows) from this grid... Even though it is about a month ago that I saw it. (as in, I just knew I saw it before))
Animator

Postby Uffe » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:57 am

Thanks, that hint solved problem.
Uffe

Return to Published puzzles