Weird Fish

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Postby angusj » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:15 am

Nick70 wrote:X-Wing however can be detected by coloring ... because it needs pairs.

I agree that coloring can be used to spot X-Wing specifically, but in it's generalised form (of which swordfish is one), coloring is not applicable.
angusj

Postby Nick70 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:24 am

angusj wrote:I agree that coloring can be used to spot X-Wing specifically, but in it's generalised form (of which swordfish is one), coloring is not applicable.

I was assuming a X-Wing ha strictly order 2, Swordfish order 3, and what were the others? Jellyfish for order 4?

You are right that extensions of X-Wing to orders higher than 2 are not identified by coloring.
Nick70

Postby angusj » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:37 am

Nick70 wrote:I was assuming a X-Wing ha strictly order 2, Swordfish order 3, and what were the others? Jellyfish for order 4?

Yes.
(nb: I wasn't disagreeing with your previous comment.)

Anyhow, I've updated my Solving Sudoku page in an attempt to more accurately describe this technique.
angusj

Postby Roz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:19 pm

angusj wrote:
Anyhow, I've updated my Solving Sudoku page in an attempt to more accurately describe this technique.

Hi Angus,

I just re-printed your Solving Sudoku pages, and find the grids on page 1,2, and 9 didn't print. I guess this is something to do with your updating because they did print a few weeks ago.

Roz
Roz

Postby angusj » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:33 pm

Roz wrote:I just re-printed your Solving Sudoku pages, and find the grids on page 1,2, and 9 didn't print. I guess this is something to do with your updating because they did print a few weeks ago.

Hi Roz, I've just rechecked that webpage and all the images load without problems so I suspect it's an issue at your end, either a slow download of the image or a problem with your printer. However, I'm confused as to what you mean by 'the grids' on my webpage?
angusj

Postby Roz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:13 pm

Ah I see, yes when I give it more thought it probably is my printer. I can see the images on the web page but they arn't printing for me. It's the hints and tips I'm talking about and the gif images. The smaller images (part grids) have printed but not the full ones. Maybe one of my printer jets is blocked or some such. I'll check it again tommorow - a bit late now to start the noisy printer, dont want to wake hubby lol.

Sorry to bother you.

Roz:)
Roz

Postby scrose » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:19 pm

Roz, try printing using landscape orientation.
scrose

Postby Roz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:23 pm

scrose wrote:Roz, try printing using landscape orientation.

Hi Scrose,

Thanks but printing a full page isn't the problem. I'm getting all the pages with everything on, except blank spaces instead of the three images I mention.:(

I actually printed the pages once a few weeks ago with no problem.
Roz

Postby Roz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:34 pm

I will try again tommorow like I previously said but just for info., these are the urls for the three images that haven't printed.

http://www.angusj.com/sudoku/plain.gif
http://www.angusj.com/sudoku/plain2.gif
http://www.angusj.com/sudoku/colors1.gif
Roz

Postby scrose » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:35 pm

Roz wrote:Thanks but printing a full page isn't the problem. I'm getting all the pages with everything on, except blank spaces instead of the three images I mention.

The three images might be too wide to be printed in portrait orientation. See this website for a description; look for the section regarding page width.

Update 1: Now that you added the links to the pictures, I'm quite sure this is what the problem is. These three images are the widest in the entire document.

Update 2: You could also try making your margins slightly smaller.
scrose

Postby Roz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:59 pm

scrose wrote:
Roz wrote:Thanks but printing a full page isn't the problem. I'm getting all the pages with everything on, except blank spaces instead of the three images I mention.

The three images might be too wide to be printed in portrait orientation. See this website for a description; look for the section regarding page width.

Update 1: Now that you added the links to the pictures, I'm quite sure this is what the problem is. These three images are the widest in the entire document.

Update 2: You could also try making your margins slightly smaller.

Ah, well done Scrose, they are indeed bigger images generally than the others. Thanks very much I'll sort it out tommorow.
Roz

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques