very hard one

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Postby Moschopulus » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:30 pm

Hi gsf,
how fast is your solver?
On average, would it solve 2000 puzzles per second, 4000, or more?
Moschopulus

Postby Sue De Coq » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:58 pm

It's much faster to find multiple solutions to a single puzzle, which typically requires Araidne's Thread to be unwound just a few steps, than to solve puzzles from scratch, which requires Ariadne's Thread to be built up over the entire grid. Even so, the gsf solver is still seriously fast. My solver uses JDK 1.5, which one would expect to run slower than the optimized native code used by gsf, but not by the observed factor. Back to the profiler ...
Sue De Coq

Postby gsf » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:04 pm

Moschopulus wrote:how fast is your solver?
On average, would it solve 2000 puzzles per second, 4000, or more?

for the 100K 1-constrained puzzles in
http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/sudoku/FNBTXYW-1-con.dat.gz
about 19K/s assuming valid (1 solution) puzzles, about 13K/s with the uniqeness check, on a 2.8Ghz P4

solver command lines to reproduce the results:
Code: Select all
sudoku -d -qFN -f- -Fpuzzles=%n%,guesses=%Q%,iterations=%I%,seconds=%t FNBTXYW-1-con.dat

sudoku -u -d -qFN -f- -Fpuzzles=%n%,guesses=%Q%,iterations=%I%,seconds=%t FNBTXYW-1-con.dat

-qFN enables the simplest F and N constraints
-d enables depth first search
-u verifies validity (exactly one solution)
gsf
2014 Supporter

Postby gsf » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:13 pm

Sue De Coq wrote:It's much faster to find multiple solutions to a single puzzle, which typically requires Araidne's Thread to be unwound just a few steps, than to solve puzzles from scratch, which requires Ariadne's Thread to be built up over the entire grid. Even so, the gsf solver is still seriously fast. My solver uses JDK 1.5, which one would expect to run slower than the optimized native code used by gsf, but not by the observed factor. Back to the profiler ...

right, ~300K/s for multiple solutions to one puzzle, vs ~19K/s from scratch
gsf
2014 Supporter

Postby Lardarse » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:53 am

Sue De Coq wrote:It's something to do with chickens.

That wasn't what I was thinking, lol
Lardarse

Previous

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques