Unsolvable puzzles?

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Unsolvable puzzles?

Postby Hikaru79 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:24 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a legal board position (ie, none of the clues violate the rules), but which does not have at least one legal solution? In other words, an unsolvable, yet legal, puzzle?

I suspect the answer is no, but I'm not sure; could someone post some sort of rigorous proof if true, and a counterexample if false?

Hikaru79

Postby Ruud » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:42 pm

Hikaru79 wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to have a legal board position (ie, none of the clues violate the rules), but which does not have at least one legal solution

Actually, it is faily simple to create these.

Take any valid sudoku, and use pencilmarks to show the valid candidates. Now solve the puzzle (or use a program to do it for you). Any candidate that is not part of the solution can be placed without violating the rules, but preventing a valid solution.

Here is a simple example:

Code: Select all
6 . .|3 . .|. . .
. . 8|. . .|. 1 .
7 2 .|8 1 .|. . .
-----+-----+-----
3 . .|. . .|6 9 4
8 . 4|. 7 5|2 . 3
9 5 6|. . .|. . 1
-----+-----+-----
. . .|. 3 9|. 6 7
. 9 .|. . .|4 . .
. . .|. . 1|. . 2

Can you spot the odd one out?

Ruud.
Ruud

Postby Hikaru79 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:41 am

Ruud wrote:
Hikaru79 wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to have a legal board position (ie, none of the clues violate the rules), but which does not have at least one legal solution

Actually, it is faily simple to create these.

Take any valid sudoku, and use pencilmarks to show the valid candidates. Now solve the puzzle (or use a program to do it for you). Any candidate that is not part of the solution can be placed without violating the rules, but preventing a valid solution.

Here is a simple example:

Code: Select all
6 . .|3 . .|. . .
. . 8|. . .|. 1 .
7 2 .|8 1 .|. . .
-----+-----+-----
3 . .|. . .|6 9 4
8 . 4|. 7 5|2 . 3
9 5 6|. . .|. . 1
-----+-----+-----
. . .|. 3 9|. 6 7
. 9 .|. . .|4 . .
. . .|. . 1|. . 2

Can you spot the odd one out?

Ruud.

Ah, yes. Obviously there must be a 5 at the middle-right area, but there are no legal places to put it.

Silly me, I should have seen this. Thanks for the response, Ruud!:)
Hikaru79

Return to General