Unique solution?

For fans of Kakuro

Unique solution?

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:47 pm

I've never done kakuro before but I was given a birthday gift of an electronic one and it even says in the intructions that in the event there is more than one solution the machine will go with what it considers to be correct. Which is fine as far as it goes but I was wondering :

Is kakuro, like sudoku, supposed to have only the one solution?

Thanks

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Re: Unique solution?

Postby udosuk » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:06 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:Is kakuro, like sudoku, supposed to have only the one solution?

IMHO any good logic puzzle is supposed to have a unique solution... That's unless working out the multiple solutions is part of the challenge...

However, some people might enjoy the process of working on a multi-solutional puzzle and trying to guess which solution is the one picked by the creator/generator of the puzzle...

Luna, perhaps if you play that machine for a few days you'll know if you enjoy it or not...:) Hope you find it as good as your Sudoku machine...:)
udosuk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:04 pm

udosuk wrote:Luna, perhaps if you play that machine for a few days you'll know if you enjoy it or not...:) Hope you find it as good as your Sudoku machine...:)

Oh, I love it but never having had any experience of kakuro before I just wondered if the same 'reputable puzzles have only one solution' applied. I must admit to finding it a little frustrating to be told the solution I came up with is wrong and not being able to find the error...................

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby re'born » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:I've never done kakuro before but I was given a birthday gift of an electronic one and it even says in the intructions that in the event there is more than one solution the machine will go with what it considers to be correct. Which is fine as far as it goes but I was wondering :

Is kakuro, like sudoku, supposed to have only the one solution?

Thanks

Luna

Here are the directions from the Dell Magazine web site. It explicitly states that (at least for their puzzles) "There is only one correct solution to the puzzle."
re'born

Postby udosuk » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:... I just wondered if the same 'reputable puzzles have only one solution' applied...

Well, in that case I'm pretty sure all Kakuro puzzles from the more reputable sources, such as those from Nikoli, are supposed to have one and only one solution.
udosuk

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Thank you both. My simple addition has improved no end:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Chessmaster » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:43 pm

Yes, It should only have one soultion, as you said similar to sudoku. At least they warned you of the possiblity. I had a sudoku thing before and some puzzles had more than one soultion i put one in a solver and it said it had 40 soultions. To me that would eliminate the point.
Chessmaster

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:15 pm

Chessmaster wrote:and it said it had 40 soultions. To me that would eliminate the point.

Well yes that would eliminate the point. Mine doesn't say how many solutions there are - it's a hand held thing - but it's not enough to put me off the game!

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Chessmaster » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:45 am

I really do not see how you will possibly be able to slove some puzzles then becasue my on handheld sudoku I put every number correctly in the grid and it said I was wrong.
Chessmaster

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:19 am

It does get frustrating.

I find it hard to come up with a solution in the first place - my addition skills are not that great - and then to try to find an alternative (and correct!) solution to a puzzle that I have already found a correct solution is even hardre, imho. However, it doesn't happen that often, and I can always ask for the answer.

Sudoku remains my first love and the hand held that I have for that has only one solution per puzzle so I'm happy.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Kakuro Flash Game

Postby atkman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:30 pm

Hi, my name is Anthony. I have a online flash Kakuro game that I've been working on and continuously do updating to (adding new unique puzzles). http://www.atksolutions.com/games/kakuro.html.
If anyone likes Kakuro, this should be fun. All puzzles are valid and unique:D

Repeated posting of the same message is not considered appropriate here. All extra copies of this message has been deleted.

Also, unless you have something relevant to say, please refrain from posting in other topics/threads for the mere purpose of advertising your product (even if it is free).

- udosuk (moderator)
atkman

Return to Kakuro