Unique Rectangles with singles

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Unique Rectangles with singles

Postby RyanStorm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:53 am

I know with unique rectangles with pairs, like if two houses that are next to each other, and their are three that make up the corners that the fourth corner can be wiped of the pair.

I want to know if this exact same concept works, if it is just a single. So I got three corners with a 2, and I want to erase the 2 in the fourth corner (there is only 2 houses, so if pairs the unique rectangle move works).

2 289 <---Want to remove that 2, so its just 89.
----------^House
2 2
------------^House

Two houses stacked on each other.
RyanStorm

Re: Unique Rectangles with singles

Postby champagne » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:08 am

I don't catch your point.

My understanding is that you have twice a single "2" in one house; this is not possible in a valid sudoku.
Second point, if you have a single "2" in the first house, it can be assigned.
champagne
2017 Supporter

Postby RyanStorm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:27 am

I actually realized my question makes no sense cause I mean to point out a different one, that doesn't delete a number from one of the corners.

Real question:

Same setup,

3 3 <---Only 3 in this row

^
|
These are only 3's in the column

In the 4th corner, the upper row, I have 3,

3 3< this 3 lines up as 4th corner, but --> there is a three to this side

3 3

Can I erase anything from this!? According to my answer sheet the 3 is not in the upper right corner of the rectangle.
RyanStorm

Postby RyanStorm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:14 am

Basically the idea is the same as pairs, but if singles. Cause I have only 2 "3's" on the row, and one of them is also one of the only 2 3's in a column. So it isn't to prove that I erase the 4th corner, but erase everything else in every direction. But I knew it didn't work on my first one I asked, but I noticed same thing in the other part of my Samurai Sudoku.

Basically I am extremely stuck, I have 2 samurai sudokus I can't solve that I have had for awhile.
RyanStorm

Postby m_b_metcalf » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:58 am

RyanStorm wrote:Basically I am extremely stuck, I have 2 samurai sudokus I can't solve that I have had for awhile.

Post them in the usual 5-line format in 'Sudoku variants' and I'll have a look.

Regards,

Mike Metcalf
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Postby JasonLion » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:52 am

There is no parallel logic for singles. The Unique Rectangle logic depends on a two digit pattern, for which there is no one digit equivalent.
JasonLion
2017 Supporter

Postby RyanStorm » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:20 pm

Ill take a picture later. It is a samurai sudoku, I have completed the two on the right side, the middle is almost done, and the two on left, upper and lower, I can't find anything.
RyanStorm

Postby RyanStorm » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:45 am

I started a new sudoku, and I swear this move works.

In 2 rows, I have two 9's, in one house, and another 2 in the house above. So they are the only 9's in that row, and they are in same column in two separate houses. I swear this lets me erase any other 9's in the column they are in.
RyanStorm

Postby Pat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:45 am

RyanStorm wrote:
In 2 rows, I have two 9's, in one house, and another 2 in the house above. So they are the only 9's in that row, and they are in same column in two separate houses. I swear this lets me erase any other 9's in the column they are in.

seems you've discovered the X-wing
Pat

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques