UK Channel 4 - Sudoku

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

UK Channel 4 - Sudoku

Postby 9X9 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:23 pm

I don't know how long it's been there, they describe it as new, but I noticed for the first time today that UK Channel 4 TV now has a daily sudoku puzzle on Teletext page 142. Today's has 29 given numbers, which indicates that it's fairly easy but, if you're in need of a "fix" and you've nothing else!

Is the number of given numbers as good an approximate indicator of puzzle difficulty as I presume it must be?
9X9

Postby emm » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:25 pm

Actually, you can get some v easy puzzles with just 17 clues - difficulty is determined by the strategies required to solve.

It’s been discussed in Sudoku Getting Harder in General/Puzzle (last post Sept 15) – I don’t know how to put that so that you just click on it and magically you’re there, so if anyone can explain that trick to me I’d be grateful.
emm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:38 pm

Em,

I open another window and find the thread I want to post. In the 'post a reply' window you'll see URL (last button on the right), click on that. In the 2nd window, on the thread there is an icon next to the word posted, at the top. Right click on that and select Copy Link Location. Back to the 'post a reply' window and place your cursor after the [url], then press control v and the location will appear. Then click on URL again, at the end.

Looks like this only with square brackets <url>http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?p=5320#p5320</url>

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?p=5320#p5320

I'd preview the thread, just to make sure:D

Hope that was clear!

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby emm » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:17 pm

Thanks Luna, that's perfectly clear - but it didn't work.:(

By the 'icon next to the word posted' do you mean the microscopic white page with the folded down top right corner? When I R click on this I don't get Copy Link Location - I get amongst other things, Open Link and Copy, neither of which can be pasted into the url. Any ideas?
emm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:32 am

em wrote:By the 'icon next to the word posted' do you mean the microscopic white page with the folded down top right corner?

Yes

em wrote:When I R click on this I don't get Copy Link Location - I get amongst other things, Open Link and Copy, neither of which can be pasted into the url. Any ideas?

This tiny icon has the post number in it which is why you can go straight to the post you want. What to do then, is right click onto this icon, select Open Link in New Window (I do hope that you get this!), and cut and paste the address in the address line of your browser into the url.

I hope that works, cos I'm all out of ideas!:D

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby emm » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:25 am

Thanks Luna - see girls can do anything!:D

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?p=11561#p11561

PS : The next thing is to figure out how tso manages to call it here!
emm

Postby PaulIQ164 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:37 am

That's relatively simple. You need to do this:

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.sudoku.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=11561#p11561]here[/url]
PaulIQ164

Postby emm » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:46 am

Wow that was quick! What seemed like magic is just an alignment of symbols after all. I don't want to sound ungrateful but there's actually something a little disappointing in having the mystery revealed - it's like finding out about Father Christmas.:(
emm

Postby MCC » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:21 pm

em, when you right click on the little icon do you have 'copy shortcut' available, if so then click on this and then paste into the message window.

No need to add anything to it.

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?p=11577#p11577
MCC

Postby emm » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:02 pm

Thanks MCC. Girls still can do anything, but sometimes boys can do some things slightly faster!
emm

Postby 9X9 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:48 pm

As boys say - "It's not the size of the wand, it's the magic that's in it!"
9X9

Postby emm » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:55 pm

My lips are sealed.
emm

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:10 am

Ah, we got it all sorted out.

Sorry, I didn't get back to ya Em, I went out!

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Sue De Coq » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:28 pm

I've read that a Sudoku puzzle is made available on Sky Interactive each day, though as you have to pay to access it, I don't imagine they'll see much custom. I'll save my money for their sports channels!
Sue De Coq

URL for a specific post

Postby Pat » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:31 am

em wrote:Actually, you can get some v easy puzzles with just 17 clues - difficulty is determined by the strategies required to solve.

It’s been discussed in Sudoku Getting Harder in General/Puzzle – I don’t know how to put that so that you just click on it and magically you’re there, so if anyone can explain that trick to me I’d be grateful.

hi, em, sorry i was absent from this discussion, i would've referred you to Pat (2005.Aug.25)

em wrote:What seemed like magic is just an alignment of symbols after all.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but there's actually something a little disappointing in having the mystery revealed - it's like finding out about Father Christmas.

BBCode has very few options, but if any Post seems to pose a mystery you can always press the "Quote" button and the undedrlying BBCode is suddenly exposed!

- Pat
Pat

Return to General