to mark or not to mark...

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

to mark or not to mark...

Postby romeo61 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:18 pm

I stumbled upon sudoku the other day and am enjoying it so far, especially as a I like mathematics and sudoku are latin squares. One thing I've wondered about is pencil marking...It seems like it's kind of looked down upon by some, but it seems like it's much more difficult in general to solve a puzzle without doing it, especially under a time constraint. I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are. Also, I would like to hear how those who solve without marking are able to do it...a lot of solving experience, sheer intellectual power, or some combination of both...?

r
romeo61

Solving without 'marking'

Postby SuzLA » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:02 am

For me, I have to admit, when I begin to mark the puzzle with little numbers, I am admitting defeat. Every puzzle is solvable with the little numbers. Placing only big numbers - now that is a successful brain exercise!
SuzLA

Re: Solving without 'marking'

Postby angusj » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:12 am

SuzLA wrote:Every puzzle is solvable with the little numbers.

Every easy puzzle is solvable with the little numbers:D .
angusj

Re: Solving without 'marking'

Postby romeo61 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:21 am

SuzLA wrote:Placing only big numbers - now that is a successful brain exercise!

I tried this approach and found that I could hold in memory a lot of pairs. However, I couldn't get beyond that point and so reluctantly had to call on the little ones...I'm wondering if you do enough puzzles that the need for little numbers slowly vanishes because you internalize techniques etc...
romeo61

Re: to mark or not to mark...

Postby Condor » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:51 am

romeo61 wrote:One thing I've wondered about is pencil marking...It seems like it's kind of looked down upon by some, but it seems like it's much more difficult in general to solve a puzzle without doing it, especially under a time constraint.

You are free to use any method you like. It is a personal preference really. I use pencil marks for the more differcult puzzles when I can't work out any more numbers.

SuzLA wrote:For me, I have to admit, when I begin to mark the puzzle with little numbers, I am admitting defeat.

I think pencil marks are just a form of note making - guessing is more like admitting defeat.
Condor

Postby emm » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:54 am

Mostly we start off with easy & medium puzzles which can be solved by simple techniques and require only minimal pencil marking - or none at all if your brain works that way. However, once you get into difficult puzzles needing advanced techniques then the pencilling in of candidates is going to be unavoidable for most human solvers. It's been discussed here before - the difference between the two types of puzzle solving. The next step is using a solver which automatically sets the grid up for you leaving you to fly through the cognitive labyrinth unencumbered by pedestrian matters such as the entering of candidates ... or something!:D
emm

Postby romeo61 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:52 pm

em wrote:Mostly we start off with easy & medium puzzles which can be solved by simple techniques and require only minimal pencil marking - or none at all if your brain works that way. However, once you get into difficult puzzles needing advanced techniques then the pencilling in of candidates is going to be unavoidable for most human solvers. It's been discussed here before - the difference between the two types of puzzle solving. The next step is using a solver which automatically sets the grid up for you leaving you to fly through the cognitive labyrinth unencumbered by pedestrian matters such as the entering of candidates ... or something!:D

Makes sense. I was trying a medium puzzle today with no marking and doing pretty well. Slower going, but it seems more rewarding in certain ways...:)
romeo61

Return to Advanced solving techniques