The "X-Wing"

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

The "X-Wing"

Postby The Druid » Sat May 28, 2005 5:13 pm

I have seen a number of mentions of something called the "X-Wing" in these threads.

From the way in which the term is used, I guess it is one particular logical strategy for resolving one specific situation in some of the harder Su Doku puzzles.

As I have not yet found a Su Doku puzzle which I cannot solve (although I wouldn't normally get ANY marks for speed - think "tank" not "gazelle"!), presumably I must be using this "X-wing" technique without realising it.

Can someone please describe to me exactly what the "X-wing" strategy/technique/whatever is, how it is carried out, etc.?

Many thanks

The Druid
www.druidry.org
The Druid

Postby Animator » Sat May 28, 2005 5:41 pm

First note that you do not need the X-wing technique to solve any of the Times puzzles.

The only time it might be required is when solving Very Hard puzzles (which aren't published in the Times).

http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=300 : This is the lastest thread in which I explained X-wings... perhaps you should take a look at it and/or all the other threds about X-wings..
Animator

Postby The Druid » Sat May 28, 2005 9:28 pm

OK, thanks for that, Animator... I only read The Times boards here, as The Times is my primary source of Su Doku puzzles, but I'll follow your link and read the thread properly tomorrow. Many thanks.
The Druid

Return to Published puzzles