The Times Sudoku Championship 2006

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

The Times Sudoku Championship 2006

Postby Crazy Girl » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:32 pm

I see that the Times are organising another Sudoku Chamionship for Sunday 15th October 2006, to be held in Cheltenham again, with the help of Puzzler.

Does this mean that the puzzles will be Pappocom's or Puzzlers or Nikoli puzzles.

:)
Crazy Girl

Postby Pi » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:02 pm

oooooooooooooooh

please please tell me how to enter
Pi

Postby Crazy Girl » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:10 pm

The qualifying puzzles are scheduled to be in the Times next week. When the fastest ~250 odd players will be invited to Cheltenham in October to compete, when the title will be decided.

edit: from today's Times supplement (Times 2), the puzzles are accredited to 'Puzzler' and not Pappocom.
Last edited by Crazy Girl on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Girl

Postby fermat » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:32 pm

Crazy Girl wrote:The qualifying puzzles are scheduled to be in the Times next week.

They are published in advance? If true, never mind.
fermat

Postby Heuresement » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:34 am

I did the first of the qualifier puzzles from The Times yesterday. I am not posting the puzzle here as I do not wish to interfere with the competition. However, I must comment on the difficulty of the yesterday's puzzle. I had been expecting it to be of a similar level to the Fiendish qualifiers from 2005, After I had completed it yesterday, I brought it with me to work to show a colleague. I dubbed it into the Pappocom program, and found it only rated as a medium puzzle which corresponds to The Times's difficult level, which is considerably easier than the Fiendish puzzles from The Times.

Does anyone know whether I should now start practicing the medium level rather than the Fiendish ones? Could anyone else confirm that I have not made a mistake in my assessment?
Heuresement

Postby Pi » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:08 pm

I must say that that surprises me, i found it very hard.

I thought that the Junior puzzle was simlar to a fiendish and that the adult puzzle was significantly harder, i posted them off today.

I didn't lie about my times because i think that the 6:25 and 12:11 were fairly respectable.
Pi

Postby Bigtone53 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:46 am

Does anyone know whether I should now start practicing the medium level rather than the Fiendish ones? Could anyone else confirm that I have not made a mistake in my assessment?

The Times also has a 2006 Crossword Championship and today they published the first qualifying puzzle. It has to be the easist crytic puzzle published in The Times in the last decade. Perhaps it is their policy for both the Championships to start off easy so as not to frighten people off but then to raise the bar dramatically at the finals.
Bigtone53

re: The Times Sudoku Championship 2006

Postby Pat » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:42 am

this Topic now continues at
Cheltenham 15th October 2006 Competition

it would be good to have one of the Topics locked
Pat

Return to General