The making of a gotchi, a simple way to find extreme sudokus

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Re: The making of a gotchi, a simple way to find extreme sud

Postby eleven » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi dukuso,

dukuso wrote:These results are unexpected to me ... did eleven expect it when he/she started ?

After my results in the high clue search i was optimistic. But i did not expect to find so much.
Is the same method maybe useful to find hard exact-cover problems or hard
SAT-problems in general ?

A google search showed, that the genetic algorithm heuristic has been used several times to solve exact cover problems and other SAT problems like TSP.
E.g. i had a look at the sketchy article A New Genetic Algorithm for Set Covering Problems, which shows some similarities to what i have done.

Not being an expert, i dont know, how they perform compared to other methods, but i guess that there is a niche of special problems, where they give competitive results.
Of course all depends on one's choices, how the selection (fitness/filter) and mutation/crossover (expand) is defined.
eleven

Postby dukuso » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:22 am

this paper is for solving set cover problems not for creating hard instances, as I understand ?

I forgot to mention QWH-problems , "quasigroup with hole" , which is almost sudoku
and where your methods should also be useful and which are of some mathematical,
theoretical interest with lots of papers.

Maybe there is already a "movement" to create hard QWHs of given size ?!?
dukuso

Postby dukuso » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 am

no google hits for "creating qwh" or "creating hard qwh" , 2 results for "creating hard sat" :

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... =&aql=&oq=
dukuso

Postby eleven » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for the link, dukuso.

I had no time to look closer yet, but i like the 3SAT problem, because its the most basic and concetrated NP complete one. So it might be interesting for me to try to create "hard" examples.
eleven

Previous

Return to General