The Independent's National Sudoku Championship

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

The Independent's National Sudoku Championship

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun May 15, 2005 4:53 pm

The Independent announced on Saturday that it is to run what it calls 'The first Sudoku Championship of Great Britain'

Curiously there is nothing - that I can find - on their website about it.

The next qualifying puzzle (9 out of 14 to be completed correctly in order to qualify), and, one would assume, a reprisal of the conditions/rules of entry, to be published on Monday.

An ideal opportunity for all you speed freaks out there (it's timed!), to win a Waterford Crystal trophy, £1,000 and the title Britain's Soduko Grand Master - not to mention the satisfaction of being 'the greatest':D .

Such a pity that I won't be available ..........................:(

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby possum » Sun May 22, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi Luna!

I bought the Independent yesterday to see what they were up to. Spent a couple of hours working on their super sudoku, only to find that I'd gone wrong. I had to give up as I had a bad headache. Had the Eurovision Song Contest on in the background - total insanity!

Did you know that the Times have also announced that they are staging the "first national su doku championships" later this year?

Wonder what the standard of difficulty will be? It might be fun, but there will probably be lots of people who can complete them in 5 minutes, so no chance of my winning.
possum

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun May 22, 2005 3:32 pm

Possum

I haven't tried Saturday's yet but I attempted the previous Saturday's, went wrong and haven't got back to it. Know what you mean about headache!

Yes, I saw that the Times is running a Championship too. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out. I'd just love to see the rules etc, but won't be competing, myself. The Independent's is fastest to solve and I consider it a major achievement to solve at all!

I'll be watching with interest though.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Return to Published puzzles