the_brand_new_one :)

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

the_brand_new_one :)

Postby olga » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:03 pm

I discovered sudoku yesterday evening and I can't even sleep since than...:D

I have a few questions:
:?:are you "playing" it on paper or on computer?
:?:which is the best (world) highscore? and yours?
:?:how does the competition look like? (just interested in form, not to participate:D )
:?:do you know a good guidebook to recomend me?

thanx!
o.
olga

Postby Shazbot » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 am

I play mine on the computer using Simple Sudoku (available from the first website listed below). Much easier for showing pencilmarks, and I like being able to turn them on/off quickly, and highlighting cells with particular "candidates".

For a "guidebook", take a look at these two websites - they have techniques explained with illustrations - just start at the top and work your way through.

http://www.angusj.com/sudoku/hints.php
http://www.simes.clara.co.uk/programs/sudokutechniques.htm
Shazbot

Postby emm » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi Olga, these are good questions, I hope I can do them justice. I so understand your fervour for Sudoku, although I am at the other end of the slippery slope – actually I’m trying to cut down, or even better, give up, because - and you may not know this yet - Sudoku is an addictive product and once it gets hold of you it can take over your life. Really it should have a health warning like cigarettes. I’m hanging out for a patch like Nicotinell that I can stick on and ease myself off painlessly!

In the meantime I play on paper and computer. I ring the changes with speed solving, non-candidate marking and killers. My highest score is 3 days for a particularly wicked little killer but I can’t speak for anyone else as I can never remember what they say their best scores are.

How does the competition look like? Hmm, this is a good question and one that preys on my mind too – I’ve seen one photo of Wayne but he’s not really the competition, the rest I have to leave to the imagination! Lastly, a good guide book – well the two recommended above are excellent and there’s also Pappocom of course and lots of people in this forum who will guide you anywhere you want to go in the Sudoku wonderland. Have fun!:D
emm

Return to General