Terminology {row or column}

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Terminology {row or column}

Postby Doyle » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:17 am

Another term is needed, or at least would be handy. How often have you written "row or column", or "rows and columns"? Rows and columns are unlike boxes, but themselves alike. We need a term denoting either.
Doyle

Postby Karyobin » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:57 am

I'm always up for a challenge, especially before breakfast!

What about: 'stick', '9-stick', 'niner', 'Hairy Eddie' or maybe even 'line' ?

Gottit! How about 'Conger'?
Karyobin

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:11 am

Or horizontal and vertical?

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Pappocom » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:52 am

I use 'line'.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Karyobin » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:15 am

'Conger''s definitely a winner.
Karyobin

Postby tso » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:42 pm

I believe "Orthoganal" is appropriate.

If you want to annoy people, you can use "horitical" or "vertizontal".

If your audience is American, try "Super deluxe Maxi Line"
tso

Postby Karyobin » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:10 pm

MBMmmmmbmmmmmbmm......conger.......mmmbmmmbmmmmbmmm.......
Karyobin

Postby Doyle » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:18 pm

The problems with "orthogonal" are that it is mainly used as an adjective, and, worse, primarily denotes the property of being at right angles. True enough of rows and columns, but the term should focus on the individual units, not on the relationship between them. And "lines" are what separate units and cells, not what's between them. A single word meaning "linear unit" is what I'm looking for.

What is it about Sudoku that brings out the nits to pick?
Doyle

Postby Karyobin » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:06 pm

Well, we didn't have any nits until you turned up, Mr. "If it stays still - discuss renaming it". So there.

Sorry, am feeling particularly smug at the moment, what with the England cricket team's performance and the fact that I pulled last night.

By the way, Doyley-baby, are you therefore saying that things arranged in a linear manner (i.e. in a line) are not actually in a line? What is it about the concept of a line that so offends your sensibilities? Maybe we could use the word 'array' (or 'Conger?') and therefore avoid any mathematically-pompous objections.

SORRY!! Sorry! Didn't mean to sound like that at all, just meant to think like that but sound more patient. I'ss the Stella y'know. Anyway, have to go now, cricket highlights are on at ten past midnight. BRING IT ON!!!
Karyobin

Postby Doyle » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:58 am

Hmmm? "Nits" was meant to refer to what is being picked, not to the pickers. So, the tone of what I posted was in no sense meant to be derogatory to anyone here, I am enjoying the threads, as we all (most) seem to be. As to the problem with "line", mathematically it has one dimension only, length, so the mental image does not convey what I'm looking for, no width in which to enter values. A "bar" would be better in that respect, but that doesn't ring right either, IMHO.
Doyle

Postby Karyobin » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:32 am

Yes, yes: I know what a line is - being a maths teacher. It's just that as it hasn't caused me (or anybody else here) a problem for at least my past 100+ posts, maybe you could see your way clear to adapting after your 13?

IMHO.
Karyobin

Postby Jeff » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:11 pm

How about 'Lane' instead of 'Line'?
Jeff

Postby stuartn » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:50 pm

What on earth is wrong with 'Line'. It's singular, doesn't imply any direction and is understandable to most sentient humans. ... A line can go up (in Brighton on a Saturday night anyway) or down or across or wherever you want it to go - but it clearly can't be a 'box'.

Just leave the terminology alone please.

Fridge beckons. England won!!!!!!!!!!. Rant over.

Stuartn

www.brightonandhove.org ... where there's a not half bad Excel solver / helper
stuartn

Return to General