Technique name?

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Technique name?

Postby Pupp » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:30 pm

I have a question of a technique I've been using. I haven't posted about it before because I wanted to make sure the technique was repeatable under the same exact circumstances every time.

Essentially you highlight a pencil mark number and look at the pattern on how the cells are connected to each other. Generally the technique seems to work when your getting down to the last of that number on the board. That is, you'll be left with exactly four of that number on the board... in a rectangle/box formation. I think it would work if there were other, but unrelated cells to the pattern of that number on the board, but I cannot say for sure at this moment.

If you can choose a single cell with a number and select that. the resulting pencil marks of that number will be left in a box/rectangle formation.

If your able choose 2 or more different cells, and each cell leaves a different box/rectangle, you cannot use the technique. I call that intersecting boxes formation, since you choose 1 cell and you'll have a box this way, or a fill in a different cell and end up with a box a different way. It won't work then.

It's not an exact pattern, other than the fact that there will always be ONLY a single cell you can choose that will result in have exactly 4 pencil mark numbers left in a box pattern. [Excluding cells that have no relationship to the pattern your looking at.]

Looks like I'm doing puzzles in the 5.0 to 6.0 (SE rated) range of difficulty, but I was using the pattern long before, but since it's not in every puzzle, it took a while for me to be sure of the technique.

I'll post a game position next time I come across that. I did 5 puzzles yesterday and the technique cropped up once, and I'm not sure which puzzle it was on.
Pupp

Re: Technique name?

Postby Hajime » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Lot of text. Example please ...
Hajime

Postby Pupp » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:38 pm

Hajime wrote:Lot of text. Example please ...

I'll get an example soon. I'm addicted to Sudoku. :geek:
Pupp

Postby Pupp » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:36 pm

I have no idea when I'll come across a puzzle that I can use that technique. I'm not saying it's rare, but it is uncommon. I only used it a handful of times over the last several weeks.

It's not a common setup, and it's always been a sort of technique of last resort, rather than something I actively look for when doing puzzles. That is, I don't start even looking until I hit a wall, and that pretty much means it's more likely I'll solve the puzzle with other, run of the mill, techniques. It's better form to solve puzzles with techniques that have been around for years, even decades.
Pupp

Return to General