Sunday Times No. 4: 21/08/05

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Postby robertsclark » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:50 pm

OK
Having played with the puzzles in the Evening Standard, etc. this is the first one I've tried in the Times/Sunday Times. Desperately trying to learn new skills/techniques! I now see the tripple and how it pops out 1 for r4c3 - can someone explain x-wings in this puzzle?
Robert
robertsclark

Postby kellstart » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:27 pm

Hi Robert,

This link will take you to a page that explains x-wings rather well :

http://www.simes.clara.co.uk/programs/sudokutechnique6.htm

Once you've read it have another look at the puzzle, in particular r1. If you want any more hints, or if you would prefer the answer to where the 2 x-wings are hidden, then let me know.

Happy x-winging!:)

Kellstart
kellstart

Postby Dinarius » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:32 pm

Thanks.

I can see the triple and by eliminating the 7,8 from the other three boxes in column 3 I get another 3,4,9 triple in those boxes.

So, I've got two triples in column 3 along with the numbers 6,1 and 2.

But, how can I make use of them?

Yes, I have a lot to learn! ;-)

Thanks.

D.

Edited.........

The triples have got me a bit further, as it happens. My grid now looks like this...........

xx68x37xx
x8xx7xxxx
x419x6x5x
9xxxxxxx1
x3x1x794x
xxxxxxxxx
85x71xx69
xx23x85xx

Now there must be something screamingly obvious, but my grid is so covered in numbers I can't see it!

One more hint please!

And I will look at x wings.

Thanks.

D.

pps I see the x-wing 9 in the first and last rows. But, not sure how that helps me either. Will keep looking.
Dinarius

Postby kellstart » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:24 pm

Hi Dinarius,

Look for a naked twin in the top right mini grid and then have a look at c7 for the hidden single. That sould get you on your way.

Before you do that you could look for another x-wing (r1). It won't throw out any lone numbers but it will eliminate some that may help you later on.

Kellstart
kellstart

Previous

Return to Published puzzles