Sunday times 11/12/05 superior 20

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Sunday times 11/12/05 Superior 20

Postby Cec » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:07 am

afjt wrote:Given that this is listed in "The Times" forum, you could try looking for it on the Times' website..
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,18209-1901410,00.html !

Hi afjt,
Thanks for your reply. In hindsight my previous post was a tad harsh and not my usual placid self. Until recently I've tended to look more at the "Solving Techniques" forum but have found the "Times" forum to be similarly interesting.

Being in "Aussie" land I don't have access to the "Times" forum or its website showing each new puzzle. I still contend that showing the actual puzzle when requesting help is far more user-friendly - fortunately the overwhelmimg majority do this.

Cec
Cec

Postby Bigtone53 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:46 am

Being in "Aussie" land I don't have access to the "Times" forum or its website showing each new puzzle.

Why not? Is it illegal or something?:D

Here is The Times Games page. Go through to Sudoku and recent puzzles are there. No password, no fee.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,202,00.html
Bigtone53

Sunday Times 11/12/05

Postby Cec » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:47 pm

Bigtone53 wrote:".....Here is The Times Games page. Go through to Sudoku and recent puzzles are there. No password, no fee...."

Err..Thanks
Cec
Cec

Sunday times 11/12/05 Superior 20

Postby Cec » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:25 am

Pi wrote:I've throughn away my paper, can anyone give me a link to the puzzle?

Hmm! interesting? Relieved to know I'm not the only one who needed help to know (access) the link to view these puzzles.
Cec
Cec

The Times - Su Doku on the www

Postby Pat » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:26 am

cecbevwr wrote:
Pi wrote:I've throughn away my paper, can anyone give me a link to the puzzle?

Relieved to know I'm not the only one who needed help to know the link to view these puzzles.

The Times Su Doku
is available on the www -
with a delay of one day.

(at the time of silvercar's post requesting help with this puzzle,
it was not yet available on www - i had to wait.)

- Pat
Pat

Re: The Times - Su Doku on the www

Postby Cec » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:57 pm

Pat wrote:"....at the time of silvercar's post requesting help with this puzzle,
it was not yet available on www - i had to wait.)
- Pat

If silvercar had included the puzzle when submitting his post, which was what I suggested in my initial post, your concern of delayed viewing of the puzzle on the www. would not arise if it were included with Silvercar's post. Your comment seems to support my original suggestion for puzzle details to be included as part of a post seeking help.

Cec wrote:".. Relieved to know I'm not the only one who needed help.."

I was referring to Pi not silvercar.

I'm not a computer wizard and I tried to explain my problem by (incorrectly) saying "I don't have access to the "Times" forums or its website.." What I meant to say was "I don't know the "Times" www.linketc. which in hindsight would have been a better explanation of my problem.

That said, I leave it to you people to judge that part of Bigtone's reply to me viz. "Why not? Is it illegal or something?

After noting 'Pi' requested a link (13 Dec), presumably to view this puzzle again having previously sited it in the "Times" more than a day earlier when it was published on 11 Dec., I decided to draw attention to this to highlight that my explanation for not knowing this link was reasonable and hopefully should have been understood considering Pi (a more experienced poster than me) also sought help for a link similar to what I sought. This is again another example of the advantage for puzzles to accompany the initial post.

My failed attempt to combine humour with sarcasm in suggesting puzzles should accompany posts has got me into deep water and I again apologize for that. However I don't retract my initial suggestion and I will continue to read these forums with interest.

Cec
Cec

Postby Bigtone53 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:27 pm

That said, I leave it to you people to judge that part of Bigtone's reply to me viz. "Why not? Is it illegal or something?

I guess that the near universal indication of a joke ( a smiley which I included) does not apply in Australia
Bigtone53

Sunday Times 11/12/05

Postby Cec » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:44 am

Bigtone53 wrote:I guess that the near universal indication of a joke ( a smiley which I included) does not apply in Australia

Hi Bigtone53 and a genuine thanks:D for your reply which explains how I misunderstand your previous post. I tend to be paranoid and unfortunately took your previous post the wrong way which distracted me from realizing your smiley was the cue for your joking.

Like your country, joking is part of Australia's way of life - however, if taken too far as I did in this thread, it can lead to strife.

Again thanks for forwarding the "Times" link and hoping I'm now exonerated.

Cec
Cec

re: The Times - Su Doku on the www

Postby Pat » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:37 am

cecbevwr wrote:
Pat wrote:at the time of silvercar's post requesting help with this puzzle,
it was not yet available on www - i had to wait.

If silvercar had included the puzzle when posting,
which was what I suggested in my initial post,
your concern of delayed viewing of the puzzle on the www would not arise.

Your comment seems to support my suggestion for
puzzle details to be included as part of a post seeking help.

yes, very definitely intended to support your suggestion for
puzzle details to be included as part of a post seeking help.

just like you, i'm a guest in The Times forum.

- Pat
Pat

Re: re: The Times - Su Doku on the www

Postby Cec » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:21 pm

Pat wrote:"...just like you, i'm a guest in The Times forum.

Thanks Pat - I appreciate your comment and your point is well taken.

Cec
Cec

Postby silvercar » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:54 pm

If silvercar had included the puzzle when submitting his post, which was what I suggested in my initial post, your concern of delayed viewing of the puzzle on the www. would not arise if it were included with Silvercar's post. Your comment seems to support my original suggestion for puzzle details to be included as part of a post seeking help.

All well and good in theory, but Pappocom has removed puzzles from this forum that were taken from that day's paper. As my initial posting was written on the day the puzzle appeared in the paper, if I had quoted the puzzle it would have been removed.
silvercar

The Times" 11/12/05

Postby Cec » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:08 pm

silvercar wrote:"...As my initial posting was written on the day the puzzle appeared in the paper, if I had quoted the puzzle it would have been removed"

If this is the case then I'm certainly puzzled why this is done. Some of the posts in this thread seem to support my suggestion for puzzles to be included with posts requesting help. I know I'm a guest viewing this forum but is there some reason for this?
Cec
Cec

Postby Bigtone53 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:56 pm

is there some reason for this?

cec,

In the paper, the hardest ones are typically prize ones, ie if you email a solution by a certain time and get pulled from the hat, you win a prize. I think that Pappocom decided quite early on not to allow discussion of prize puzzles that were still open, so as a general matter, puzzles are not posted on the site until the next day.
Bigtone53

Sunday "Times" 11/12/05

Postby Cec » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:56 am

Bigtone53 wrote:"...so as a general matter, puzzles are not posted on the site until the next day.

Thanks Bigtone53 for your reply which clearly explains why puzzles are not generally posted. Before closing on this thread I now have to confess, purely to ease my conscience, that I only discovered by chance last night in glancing back through this thread that Pat's initial post (Dec.14) included a link after his/her name, that I did not then identify, but which would have then enabled me to access this puzzle.

I really made a mess of all this and thanks to all for persevering with me.

Cec
Cec

re: same-day posting of puzzles from The Times

Postby Pat » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:17 pm

Bigtone53 wrote:I think that Pappocom decided quite early on not to allow discussion of prize puzzles that were still open, so as a general matter, puzzles are not posted on the site until the next day.

i'd say the delayed posting of The Times puzzles on their own web-site is obviously their decision (and not Pappocom's).

also note, some of their printed puzzles are never posted on their web-site; it was indeed in connexion with some of those that Pappocom made his comment on same-day posting to the Forum:

(those were the extra-tough puzzles, Qualifiers for the Championship; and i've never seen them in the Forum even after months have passed)

- Pat
Pat

Previous

Return to Published puzzles