Sukaza puzzle

For fans of all other kinds of logic puzzles

Sukaza puzzle

Postby sukaza » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:51 am

If you like sudoku, you may be interested in sukaza : http://www.sukaza.com/training/
This is a game where you have to discover shapes from a table.

I am just launching the website now, so any feedback is welcome!

Thanks,
sukaza

Re: Sukaza puzzle

Postby Smythe Dakota » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:32 pm

I'd say you're off to a good start.

The puzzle is certainly addictive enough. I went through all 30 "training" level puzzles first, just to make sure I had the right idea. That taught me the fundamentals without getting difficult.

Then I started on "easy", which I'll confess I'm not finding all that easy. I think I'd better stick to "easy" for a while until I learn a few more techniques.

I'm sure this is an initial design, and you'll eventually want to add some navigation improvements. For example, you might want to allow two (or more) colors. The solver could put in a black line when he is sure there is a line there, or a red line if he just wants to try one to see where it leads. You might also want to allow something like a red X between two dots, when the solver is sure there is NOT a line there.

So far the sequence seems linear. For example, when the solver selects the "training" level, it starts with number 30 and works its way down to number 1. You are not allowed to skip around -- each must be solved before the next is attempted. (Counting backwards has the advantage that you know how many more are coming!) Apparently cookies are used to remember how far the solver got on his previous visit -- that's good.

The solver is, however, allowed to skip around among levels. You don't have to finish "training" before going on to "easy", etc. For example, after a few "easy" ones I went to the most difficult level. (Didn't get anywhere with that, I need to move up more slowly!)

I notice you have just four shapes -- line, block, trident, and zigzag (that last name is mine, I didn't see you name it anywhere on your site). You could also add one more, the L shape (three in a row, with the fourth one at one end). Before anybody suggests it, I'll point out that a 3-sided block is mathematically the same as a 4-sided block as far as solving is concerned.

All in all, Sukaza is an interesting concept. Keep it up!

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Postby sukaza » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Smythe Dakota wrote:I'm sure this is an initial design, and you'll eventually want to add some navigation improvements. For example, you might want to allow two (or more) colors. The solver could put in a black line when he is sure there is a line there, or a red line if he just wants to try one to see where it leads. You might also want to allow something like a red X between two dots, when the solver is sure there is NOT a line there.

Nice suggestion! I've improved the site, so now you can right-click on the image to add red lines. And you can remove all red lines using
the clear button. Pressing the clear button once again remove also the back lines. This helps the solver to make assumptions.

Smythe Dakota wrote:I notice you have just four shapes -- line, block, trident, and zigzag (that last name is mine, I didn't see you name it anywhere on your site). You could also add one more, the L shape (three in a row, with the fourth one at one end).

I have tried that, but this make the puzzle more difficult to solve, because there are more possibilities. Anyway, I will probably publish some puzzles with L shapes some days so that we can check this.

Smythe Dakota wrote:Before anybody suggests it, I'll point out that a 3-sided block is mathematically the same as a 4-sided block as far as solving is concerned.

Here, I do not get what you mean?

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions!
sukaza

Postby Smythe Dakota » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:20 am

I wrote:Before anybody suggests it, I'll point out that a 3-sided block is mathematically the same as a 4-sided block as far as solving is concerned.
In response, sukaza wrote:Here, I do not get what you mean?

A three-sided block is simply a four-sided block with one of its sides removed.

The fourth side is redundant. Once the first three sides are filled in, the four dots comprising the shape are determined. Whether the fourth side is filled in or not has no bearing on solving the rest of the puzzle.

Actually, if you allowed three-sided blocks, some nitpicker would point out that the puzzle no longer has a unique solution. Once you have a solution with a three-sided block, you could generate three more solutions just by rotating the three-sided block.

So, never mind! Just stick with four-sided blocks. Allowing three-sided blocks would just create redundancy.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Sukaza puzzle

Postby ThomasTedsmall » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:48 am

Isnt that a physics problem rather than a puzzle?

Agreed and locked. -jr
ThomasTedsmall

Return to Other logic puzzles