Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Post puzzles for others to solve here.

Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby DonM » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Welcome to the occasional/sporadic 'Suggest A Move' (SAM) series (returning after a brief pause of 3 years :)), consisting of of a puzzle at a point where there are some interesting patterns and whereby people are invited to come up with any interesting patterns/chains they discover. There is no hidden surprise or backdoor (at least not that I know of) or some other trick awaiting and I haven't made any exhaustive search for all possible interesting patterns. It is simply an interesting puzzle.

Note: SSTS means Simple Sudoku Techniques Set. Post-SSTS means that the original puzzle was solved by Simple Sudoku to the point where there is 'No Hint Available'. ER means Explainer Rating whereby Sudoku Explainer assigns a general difficulty value to the puzzle.

Even though the SSTS position eliminates a number of basic patterns that some solvers may be used to finding in more recent puzzles in this Puzzles Section, this is not an extremely difficult puzzle. Also note that the primary objective is more finding interesting patterns or chains rather than necessarily solving the puzzle.

Code: Select all
. . 4|. 9 .|. 6 .
. 8 .|. . .|. 7 .
. . .|. . 1|. . 4
-----+-----+-----
8 . .|7 . .|. . .
. 1 7|5 . 3|2 8 .
2 . .|. . 8|. . 5
-----+-----+-----
9 . .|4 . .|. . .
. 6 .|. 8 .|. 2 .
. 7 .|. 3 .|8 . .


SAM#3: ER=7.1 at the SSTS position:

Code: Select all
 *-----------------------------------------------------------*
 | 1357  35    4     | 23    9     27    | 135   6     8     |
 | 135   8     69    | 36    56    4     | 1359  7     2     |
 | 357   29    269   | 8     567   1     | 359   359   4     |
 |-------------------+-------------------+-------------------|
 | 8     3459  359   | 7     12    29    | 346   134   136   |
 | 6     1     7     | 5     4     3     | 2     8     9     |
 | 2     349   39    | 169   16    8     | 7     134   5     |
 |-------------------+-------------------+-------------------|
 | 9     23    8     | 4     127   267   | 356   135   1367  |
 | 345   6     135   | 19    8     579   | 49    2     137   |
 | 45    7     125   | 129   3     2569  | 8     49    16    |
 *-----------------------------------------------------------*
DonM
2013 Supporter
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 13 January 2008

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby daj95376 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Additional level of difficulty! You are not allowed to use the following Skyscraper in any solution you propose.

Skyscraper: (2) r1c4 = r9c4 - r9c3 = r3c3
daj95376
2014 Supporter
 
Posts: 2624
Joined: 15 May 2006

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby SudoQ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:17 am

daj95376 wrote:Additional level of difficulty! You are not allowed to use the following Skyscraper in any solution you propose.

Skyscraper: (2) r1c4 = r9c4 - r9c3 = r3c3

Code: Select all
|-------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
| 1357  235   4     |(2)3  9    (27)  | 135   6    8    |
| 135   8     13569 | 36   56    4    | 1359  7    2    |
| 357   2359  23569 | 8    2567  1    | 359   359  4    |
|-------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
| 8     3459  359   | 7    12    29   | 346   134  136  |
| 6     1     7     | 5    4     3    | 2     8    9    |
| 2     349   39    | 169  16    8    | 7     134  5    |
|-------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
| 9    (23)   8     | 4    127   267  | 356   135  1367 |
|1(3)45 6     1(3)5 | 19    8   5(7)9 | 49    2    1(37)|
| 145   7     15-2  |1(2)9  3    2569 | 8     49   16   |
|-------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
/SudoQ
SudoQ
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 09 September 2011

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby ArkieTech » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:18 am

Code: Select all
 *--------------------------------------------------------------------*
 | 1357   235    4      |a23     9      27     | 135    6      8      |
 | 135    8     c13569  |b36     56     4      | 1359   7      2      |
 | 357    2359   23569  | 8      2567   1      | 359    359    4      |
 |----------------------+----------------------+----------------------|
 | 8      3459  c359    | 7      12     29     | 346    134    136    |
 | 6      1      7      | 5      4      3      | 2      8      9      |
 | 2      349   c39     | 169    16     8      | 7      134    5      |
 |----------------------+----------------------+----------------------|
 | 9      23     8      | 4      127    267    | 356    135    1367   |
 | 1345   6     c135    | 19     8      579    | 49     2      137    |
 | 145    7     c125    | 19-2   3      2569   | 8      49     16     |
 *--------------------------------------------------------------------*
als xy-wing
(2=3)r1c4-(3=6)r2c4-(6r2c3=2r9c3)r24689c3 => -2r9c4; lclste
dan
User avatar
ArkieTech
 
Posts: 2655
Joined: 29 May 2006
Location: NW Arkansas USA

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby DonM » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 am

SudoQ wrote:
daj95376 wrote:Additional level of difficulty! You are not allowed to use the following Skyscraper in any solution you propose.

Skyscraper: (2) r1c4 = r9c4 - r9c3 = r3c3

Code: Select all
|-------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
| 1357  235   4     |(2)3  9    (27)  | 135   6    8    |
| 135   8     13569 | 36   56    4    | 1359  7    2    |
| 357   2359  23569 | 8    2567  1    | 359   359  4    |
|-------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
| 8     3459  359   | 7    12    29   | 346   134  136  |
| 6     1     7     | 5    4     3    | 2     8    9    |
| 2     349   39    | 169  16    8    | 7     134  5    |
|-------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
| 9    (23)   8     | 4    127   267  | 356   135  1367 |
|1(3)45 6     1(3)5 | 19    8   5(7)9 | 49    2    1(37)|
| 145   7     15-2  |1(2)9  3    2569 | 8     49   16   |
|-------------------|-----------------|-----------------|
/SudoQ


Hey SudoQ- that's a pretty good chain, but more people will be able to appreciate it if you notate it:
(2=3)r7c2-grp(3)r7c13=(3-7)r8c9=r8c6-(7=2)r1c6-r1c4=(2)r9c4 => r9c3<>2 => r7c2=2
DonM
2013 Supporter
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 13 January 2008

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby Leren » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:40 am

Code: Select all
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| 1357    235     4        |a23      9      A27       | 135     6       8        |
| 135     8       13569    | 36      56      4        | 1359    7       2        |
| 357     2359   d23569    | 8      e56-27B  1        | 359     359     4        |
|--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------|
| 8       3459    359      | 7       12      29       | 346     134     136      |
| 6       1       7        | 5       4       3        | 2       8       9        |
| 2       349     39       | 169     16      8        | 7       134     5        |
|--------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------|
| 9       23      8        | 4       127     267      | 356     135     1367     |
| 1345    6       135      | 19      8       579      | 49      2       137      |
| 145     7      c125      |b129     3       2569     | 8       49      16       |
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------*


L2 Wing with bivalue extension cell:

(2) r1c4 = r9c4 - r9c3 = (2-6) r3c3 = r3c5; 2 r1c4 - (2=7) r1c6 - r3c5: => r3c5<> 2, 7 ; 1c1ste

Leren
Leren
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: 03 June 2012

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby SudoQ » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:18 am

DonM wrote:Hey SudoQ- that's a pretty good chain, but more people will be able to appreciate it if you notate it...

Sorry, I can only do it like this:
Code: Select all
r2c4=6 -> r3c3=6 -> r9c3=2
    =3 -> r1c4=2           => r9c4<>2
/SudoQ
SudoQ
 
Posts: 39
Joined: 09 September 2011

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby eleven » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:51 pm

daj95376 wrote:Skyscraper: (2) r1c4 = r9c4 - r9c3 = r3c3

Here is one without using any of the 2 strong links (or calling it an ALS):
Code: Select all
+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+
| 1357  35    4     | 23    9    *27    | 135   6     8     |
| 135   8     69    | 36    56    4     | 1359  7     2     |
|c357  a29    269   | 8     567   1     |b359  b359   4     |
+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+
| 8     3459  359   | 7    #12   #29    | 346   134   136   |
| 6     1     7     | 5     4     3     | 2     8     9     |
| 2     349   39    | 169   16    8     | 7     134   5     |
+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+
| 9    @23    8     | 4    #127  #267   | 356   135   1367  |
| 345   6     135   | 19    8     579   | 49    2     137   |
| 45    7     125   | 129   3     2569  | 8     49    16    |
+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+

Almost x-wing for 2 in r47c56
If its an x-wing, then r1c6=7
if not, then r7c2=2->r3c2=9->r3c78=35->r3c1=7->r1c6=7

(7=2)r1c6-(xwing 2r47c56)=2r7c2-(2=9)r3c2-(9=35)r3c78-(35=7)r3c1; r1c1<>7


HNY, eleven
eleven
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: 10 February 2008

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby storm_norm22 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:28 am

als xz rule chain

Image
Norm
storm_norm22
 
Posts: 59
Joined: 21 November 2012

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby DonM » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:40 am

storm_norm22 wrote:als xz rule chain

Image


Hi Norm. That's what I call pure pattern solving and with a pretty picture too. :)
DonM
2013 Supporter
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 13 January 2008

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby storm_norm22 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 am

DonM wrote:
storm_norm22 wrote:als xz rule chain

Image


Hi Norm. That's what I call pure pattern solving and with a pretty picture too. :)


so just a question then.

how is that chain in the picture denoted in AIC? the reason I ask is because that chain can be extended to include a lot more cells so as to not included the ALS structure.
Norm
storm_norm22
 
Posts: 59
Joined: 21 November 2012

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby DonM » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:09 am

storm_norm22 wrote:
DonM wrote:
storm_norm22 wrote:als xz rule chain

Image


Hi Norm. That's what I call pure pattern solving and with a pretty picture too. :)


so just a question then.

how is that chain in the picture denoted in AIC? the reason I ask is because that chain can be extended to include a lot more cells so as to not included the ALS structure.


als(2=19)r89c4-als(9=126)r4c5/r6c45 => r7c5<>2

Norm, I'm not sure what potential limitations (if that is the right word) are implied by the part after 'the reason I ask...' :)
DonM
2013 Supporter
 
Posts: 475
Joined: 13 January 2008

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby ronk » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:17 am

storm_norm22 wrote:how is that chain in the picture denoted in AIC? the reason I ask is because that chain can be extended to include a lot more cells so as to not included the ALS structure.

als xy-wing: (2=9)r89c4 - (9=1)r6c45 - (1=2)r4c5 ==> r7c5<>2
ronk
2012 Supporter
 
Posts: 4764
Joined: 02 November 2005
Location: Southeastern USA

Re: Suggest A Move (SAM#3)

Postby Luke » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:52 am

I see all als-xz patterns as just two weakly linked almost locked sets. (adding: pretty much what Don posted)

(2=169)als:r4c5,r6c45-(9=12)als:r89c4 ==>r7c5<>2
User avatar
Luke
2015 Supporter
 
Posts: 435
Joined: 06 August 2006
Location: Southern Northern California


Return to Puzzles