Suduko Explainer (and probably other solvers)

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Suduko Explainer (and probably other solvers)

Postby Pupp » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:48 pm

Solvers give you a way to guage your ability, but they don't cover all techniques.

That is, there are techniques that you need to learn that are actually fairly easy, like a two-string-kite, that doesn't seem to be part of Suduko Explainer lexicon.
Last edited by Pupp on Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pupp

Re: Suduko Explorer (and probably other solvers)

Postby yzfwsf » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:35 pm

You seem to keep getting the spelling of SudokuExplainer wrong.
SudokuExplainer has not been updated for a long time, and many newer techniques are not provided. But Hodoku will be your choice. If you want to learn the latest techniques such as MSLS, JE, etc., you can also choose my solver YZF_Sudoku to have a try. In reality, SudokuExplainer is mainly used to evaluate the difficulty of puzzles, it is the de facto standard.
yzfwsf

Re: Suduko Explorer (and probably other solvers)

Postby Pupp » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:58 pm

I'll look into that. Someone here gives Hoduko a zero as a solver. Presumably as a solver that's helpful for beginners.

I give SE about a zero too, as far as helping beginners.

Sudoku 10,000 (android), uses a limited version of SE, and as far as I'm concerned, it's only really usable to make sure you didn't mess the puzzle up. And/or backtrack the a puzzle until it's solvable once again.

-Since Sudoku 10,000 runs on phones, they limited the ability to solve puzzles to Nightmare level. Higher levels would be far too much processing for many phones. Even on my i7 6700k desktop, it can take several minutes to calculate a puzzle rated over 10 SE.

Right now, I'm rather in the beginner phase, so there are tons of stuff I can learn without having to resort to solver to show me what I missed. Plus the hunt for new techniques, like learning the Two-stringed-kite the other day, is part of the fun. My biggest concern is learning techniques suited for my level of solving. Leapfrogging to too high techniques can just really mess you up. So I just take it slow.

I'll post a puzzle if I get stuck bad enough.
Pupp

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques