Sudoku Tools--grids, solvers, etc.

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Sudoku Tools--grids, solvers, etc.

Postby sheila08 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:29 pm

I use public computers that prohibit me from downloading to the hard drive. What are some sources for solving tools that I can use directly? I need things like programs that 1. allow me to input puzzle digits, 2. return all the possible numbers for unsolved squares, and 3. create sudoku grids. Are there any that give step-by-step solutions----I want to actually see a swordfish in a puzzle!

Thank you for any assistance.

Sheila
sheila08

Re: Sudoku Tools--grids, solvers, etc.

Postby tso » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:45 pm

sheila08 wrote:I use public computers that prohibit me from downloading to the hard drive. What are some sources for solving tools that I can use directly? I need things like programs that 1. allow me to input puzzle digits, 2. return all the possible numbers for unsolved squares, and 3. create sudoku grids. Are there any that give step-by-step solutions----I want to actually see a swordfish in a puzzle!

Thank you for any assistance.

Sheila

Try Paul's Pages. Very easy to import and export. Manual and automatic pencil marks. Very good for manual solving and making nice ascii grids.

I posted three practice puzzles with Swordfish on your earilier thread.
tso

Postby sheila08 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:45 pm

Paul's pages doesn't seem to give me a step-by-step solving option. I cannot do anything that requires authorization (writing in directories,etc.).

I want to be able to see an x-wing as the solver encounters it!!!

Thank you very much for your swordfish examples.

Sheila
sheila08

Postby ihope127 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:17 pm

Sounds like you need a browser-embedded Susser...
ihope127

Postby tso » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:51 am

Atraware Sudoku of the Day keeps a two week archive of of 6 puzzles per day in different difficulty levels with descriptions of the tatics its solver used. It includes complete step-by-step solutions complete with step-by-step diagrams. Some of their descriptions are a little off. The one for Swordfish is incomplete and the one for Nishio is completely wrong. Also, you can't enter your own puzzles. Still, it seems to be what your looking for.
tso

Postby Kibitzer » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:34 am

Sheila,

If you have an instant messages program, like "MSN messenger" which comes bundled with Windows XP, you can try to ask a friend to download "Simple Sudoku" and send it to you. This way you download to the hard disk using the "peer to peer technology", and not directly from a server. If this works for you, then:

"Simple Sudoku" (as you probably know) alllows you to enter your own puzzle, have all candidates for the empty cells and even "copy" puzzles which appear in this forum and "paste" them directly to an empty SS grid.

For instance, you can "copy" code from this forum in this format:

65* 743 ***
*** 296 5*7
97* *8* *6*

1** **9 3**
*9* *** *1*
**6 8** **2

*8* *** *75
5*7 9*8 ***
3** 457 *2*

and have it instantly inserted into the SS grid by "edit"> "paste".
Although I have'nt tried it, it works probably vice versa.

I have'nt tried other formats or other solvers which may have similar options.

Hope this is of help to you.

Kibitzer
Kibitzer

Postby Animator » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:50 am

I doubt that the actual downloading is the problem...

My guess is that he either doesn't have write access to the hard-drive (and thus cannot save the file) or doesn't have permission to install the software.
Animator

Return to Software