sudoku susser

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

sudoku susser

Postby Kent » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:05 pm

I would like to ask how do u write the candidates on the cells?? I tried looking at the manual but it did not mention anything.Thanks
Kent

Postby MCC » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:56 pm

Kent, if your talking about the pappocom program then you can either click on the number you want at top of screen or, if your mouse has a wheel, you can select the number that way, then right click on mouse.

MCC
MCC

Postby Kent » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:26 am

Whats a pappacom? I am saying how can i manually add and remove candidates from a cell?? I want to try to solve it as if i'm doing it on a piece of paper.I cant seem to add the candidates manually
Kent

Sudoku Susser

Postby Cec » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:18 am

Kent wrote:".. I am saying how can i manually add and remove candidates from a cell?? I want to try to solve it as if i'm doing it on a piece of paper. I cant seem to add the candidates manually

Kent,

I have just downloaded Sudoku Susser version 2.5.3. I've "played around" with it a bit and it would take a while for me to get used to it - like changing over to another car:)

I'm still confused when you refer to "adding and removing candidates from a cell". To clarify terminology, the numbers shown in a random puzzle on the screen are the "clues". I can add a "big" number to an unsolved cell by selecting that number from the keyboard. The "Options" menu enables unsolved cells to either show all possibilities (ie. candidates) or not to show these possibilities. The Program automatically removes candidates as each cell is solved but I can't see any option to add candidates nor can I understand why there should be that option. I may be missing something but I cannot understand why it would be necessary to add candidates into a program that automatically does that task other than wishing to do this manually. Is this your reason for wanting to add candidates, or - I hesitate to ask - are you confusing "candidates" and "clues"?

Cec
Cec

Postby Pappocom » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:33 pm

This "Support" forum is for the Sudoku program by Pappocom (available at www.WayneGouldPuzzles.com ).

Support issues for all other programs (including Sudoku Susser) should be sent to the maker of the particular program.

- Wayne

much later note by Moderator --
      this discussion has now been moved to the Software section,
      where all SuDoku software can be discussed
Pappocom

Postby Kent » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:22 am

Cec,

the way I solve it is as if i'm doing in on the paper.For example, in a paper they dont have all candidates listed out.The square are blank right?? And you have to fill squares yourself.

When you come want to fill in candidate eg a candidate '5' in the 3x3 box and i find that there are 2 cells that can fit the candidate '5'.So I want to mark the candidate '5' in both squares so that when I eliminate other candidates I can know which one of the 2 cells contains candidate '5'.

It's exactly like when u do on a piece of paper.That's the medthod of me solving.Try going to this website http://vanhegan.net/sudoku/index.php
and slove the puzzle.You can add candidates by pressing + and the number.U'll get what I mean
Kent

Sudoku Susser

Postby Cec » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:51 pm

Kent,

No offence but in attempting to help you it would assist me if you answered the questions asked rather than me having to try and interpret your explanations - take the following example:
Cec wrote:I may be missing something but I cannot understand why it would be necessary to add candidates into a program that automatically does that task other than wishing to do this manually. Is this your reason for wanting to add candidates, or - I hesitate to ask - are you confusing "candidates" and "clues"?

Kent wrote:Cec,
"the way I solve it is as if i'm doing in on the paper. For example, in a paper they dont have all candidates listed out.The square are blank right?? And you have to fill squares yourself."

Puzzles in a paper list some clues but don't list any candidates. I'm not trying to be difficult but replacing the word "candidates" with the word "clues" in your above sentence could still be interpreted as a correct sentence - this still left me uncertain whether you understood the difference between candidates and clues.

OK, I did eventually conclude from your next sentence explaining how you would place candidate 5 in two cells that you understood the difference but if you had simply answered the question I asked by saying something like "clues' are the given numbers and 'candidates' are the possible numbers (or pencilmarks)" then I would have been convinced a lot quicker.
Kent wrote:"...It's exactly like when u do on a piece of paper.That's the medthod of me solving.Try going to this website http://vanhegan.net/sudoku/index.php
and slove the puzzle.You can add candidates by pressing + and the number.U'll get what I mean..."

I looked at this site which provides your preferred function to manually key in the candidates and manually remove them as cells are progressively solved. If this is your preference then fine but personally I found marking candidates in the paper or manually operating this same task by a puzzle solver to carry out what really is a task requiring little "brain work" but a lot of time which just becomes boring - to me anyway. Puzzle solvers do away with this tedious task allowing more time for the interesting part to solve puzzles.

I understand from tso's post in this Thread that the functions you prefer are available on the "Susser"
program which you have downloaded. However, as advised in an earlier post above, any problems you have should be sent to the maker of that program.

Frankly Kent I can't see any more I can do and hope you can sort things out.

Cec
Cec

Postby Kent » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:54 am

Cec,

Thanks for tyring to help.I understand the difference between candidates and clues.Isn't the way I am sloving the usual way people solve?? Or is my way diffferent from the rest.How about you?? How do you solve??
Kent

re: SuDoku Susser

Postby Pat » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:06 pm

Kent wrote:I would like to ask how do u write the candidates on the cells??

hi Kent
seems that SuDoku Susser does "candidates" automatically,
the feature you wish may simply not exist in that software.

try writing directly to MadOverlord

this Topic was incorrectly posted in "Support"
- it belongs in Solver programs
and might be properly attached to http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=515

~ Pat
Pat

Sudoku Susser

Postby Cec » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:30 pm

and
Kent wrote: Cec,
"Thanks for tyring to help.I understand the difference between candidates and clues...."

Kent,
Pleased to note this has been resolved.
Kent wrote:"..Isn't the way I am sloving the usual way people solve?? Or is my way diffferent from the rest.How about you?? How do you solve??"

Very difficult questions to answer as you yourself have shown by asking "Is your (my) way different from the rest"?. Is how I play golf the usual way people play? Do other people drive their car like me? How do other people solve puzzles?. I recently sought answers to a somewhat similar question - if you click on this Thread you'll see the responses I got. As you can see I'm not as quick as I'd like to be but I see it more important to enjoy what I do.
I notice you have posted a high number of posts since you joined only a fortnight ago. Speaking for myself, if I posted this many posts I would hardly have time to read up on the numerous helpful techniques and links mentioned by other "experienced" members let alone finding enough time to solve puzzles. For what it's worth my puzzle solving "habit" goes something like this:

After transferring the puzzle's clues from the newspaper into this GRID I print a copy which I find easy to read and "work on". The candidates are already automatically shown.
I start by looking for the usual basic stuff eg. naked and hidden singles, pairs, triples, and the important locked candidates (some refer to this as box-line reduction). When a cell is solved (say cell X) I cross off (exclude) the candidates in each group (row, column and box) relating to that solved cell and where a naked single results to solve another cell from these exclusions I temporarily pencil in this "new" single outside the grid and in line with that row or column and continue excluding the candidates for the remainder of the group for solving cell X. I do it this way to remind me to properly pencil in the new solved cell as sometimes more naked single can occur in other cells, particularly when making a number of candidate exclusions in each group. That part is hard to explain - if I don't do it that way then I find it harder to later spot the additional cells I've solved from excluding candidates when cell X is solved.
At the moment X-wings and colors are about my limit. When I get stuck I use Simple Sudoku.

Because your questions on puzzle solving are really unrelated to this particular topic (Sudoku Susser) and hence are a new topic I would suggest you repost your question say in the "General Puzzles" forum which then gives other members the opportunity to contribute their thoughts and probably more helpful answers.

Cec
Cec

Postby Kent » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:40 am

1 last ques.Can u do on a paper without transfering on the grid??
Kent

Sudoku Susser

Postby Cec » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:58 pm

Kent wrote:1 last ques.Can u do on a paper without transfering on the grid??

In one of your above posts you wrote
"..It's exactly like when u do on a piece of paper.That's the medthod of me solving..."

I think you've already answered your own question but perhaps I could add that solving easy puzzles on paper (ie.without using a pencilmark grid) would present fewer problems as opposed to the more obvious problems of solving, or trying to solve, difficult puzzles on paper (ie. without a pencilmark grid)

Cec
Cec

Return to Software