Sudoku raters / rating puzzle difficulty

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Sudoku raters / rating puzzle difficulty

Postby Pupp » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:18 am

I use Sudoku Explainer to rate puzzles, but I was curious what other programs are popular to rate the difficulty of puzzles.
Pupp

Re: Sudoku raters / rating puzzle difficulty

Postby enxio27 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:06 pm

For years I've used Sudocue, by Ruud van der Werf. I like that it can rate huge batches of puzzles at once, and even give me a count of each major technique a puzzle requires. However, it is getting rather "long in the tooth", and I'm sure new techniques have been developed since it was last updated (at least 12 years ago now). It's still perfectly adequate for my purposes (my technique repertoire isn't very robust), but for most people here, serate (if I recall correctly, that's short for Sudoku Explainer rater) is much better. I've dabbled with Sudoku Explainer, but I really haven't done it enough to get a good handle on its capabilities and how to use it.
enxio27

Postby Pupp » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:07 am

I use Sudoku Explainer.

I haven't found a normal puzzle it hasn't been able to solve. That being said, it lists some esoteric techniques that may or may not be usable by humans, but those seem to be mostly at the Ludacris level puzzles.
Pupp

Postby denis_berthier » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:58 am

As should be expected, I use my own solver, SudoRules. I have shown that there are several pure logic, isomorphism invariant, ratings and that they can't be reduced to each other.
Rating is thus a matter of a personal choice of which rules you want to apply.
denis_berthier
2010 Supporter

Return to General