Sudoku on the SumSum website

Sudoku puzzles, off-site games and other resources on the Internet

Sudoku on the SumSum website

Postby SumSum » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:56 am

I post 5 new Sudoku puzzles on my SumSum website (almost) every Sunday. They range from Easy to Extreme. Anyone who solves the Extreme puzzle can get into the Solvers List. The address is www.sumsumpuzzle.com I welcome feedback about the puzzles.
SumSum

SumSum puzzles

Postby SumSum » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:06 am

Besides Sudoku, I have several other logic puzzles on my website. SumSum is essentially a diagramless form of Kakuro. Coraline is a path-completion puzzle. Neighbors is a grid-coloring logic puzzle. New puzzles are posted each week. I add one new puzzle type about every 4 months or so. The site is www.sumsumpuzzle.com
SumSum

Double Sudoku

Postby SumSum » Sun May 06, 2012 5:10 am

Starting today, there will be a new Double Sudoku puzzle posted each week at www.sumsumpuzzle.com Double Sudoku consists of two Sudoku puzzles which need to be solved simultaneously, because the digits in each puzzle serve as clues for the other puzzle.
SumSum

Re: Double Sudoku

Postby Drlbpgtjdomt » Wed May 09, 2012 6:08 am

SumSum wrote:Starting today, there will be a new Double Sudoku puzzle posted each week at www.sumsumpuzzle.com Double Sudoku consists of two Sudoku puzzles which need to be solved simultaneously, because the digits in each puzzle serve as clues for the other puzzle.

That is a nice site.I just come back there.thanks for your idea!!!
God helps them that help themselves.
Drlbpgtjdomt

Re: Sudoku on the SumSum website

Postby SumSum » Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm always interested in new puzzle ideas for the SumSum website. So far I have SumSum, Coraline, Sudoku, Double Sudoku and NaYBR. I was thinking of putting up Hashi next, but if anyone has a special favorite, I'd be happy to consider it.
SumSum

Re: SumSum puzzles

Postby Smythe Dakota » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:34 am

I like the SumSum idea.

Every so often I need a new type of Sudoku- or Kakuro-type puzzle to try out. These go into fresh territory, and avoid the boredom of the same old techniques and same old trial and error.

A new puzzle type, though, should not be excessively difficult. It's more fun to discover fresh solving techniques than to go through the drudgery of lengthy trial-and-error sequences, or to try to come up with advanced solving techniques.

In the case of SumSum, I started with the easiest (5-digit), and was fascinated by the techniques I discovered. They took a while, but not too long. The 5-, 6-, 7-, and 8-digit puzzles (the initial ones posted back in April) were about the right degree of difficulty. Then I got stuck on the 9-digit one. After figuring out where most of the black squares had to be (the most fun part of SumSum), I could not resolve which two of the four cells r5c5, r5c6, r6c5, r6c6 had to be black squares, so I eventually gave up and haven't been back.

So, if a new puzzle type could stay in the moderate range of difficulty, you'd keep me as a "customer" longer. Once a puzzle becomes fiendish, I'm no longer interested. The fun in new puzzle types is in discovering the basic solving techniques.

Bill Smythe
Smythe Dakota

Interactive Sudoku

Postby SumSum » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 pm

The Sudoku puzzles on the SumSum website are now interactive. There are links to both the interactive versions and the print versions at www.sumsumpuzzle.com/sudoku.htm I would like to hear from players how they like the game features, especially the backup feature, which I have tried to make smarter than the backup on other sites.
SumSum

SumSum, Yashi and Coraline

Postby SumSum » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:26 pm

I announced in the Interactive Games thread that the Sudoku puzzles on the SumSum puzzle website are now interactive, but players may also like to know that the SumSum puzzles, Yashi puzzles and Coraline puzzles are also interactive now. I have also greatly expanded the page on how to solve SumSum puzzles (the adult version). If any of you have tips or methods that I have overlooked or omitted, I'd like to hear about them. You can find links to all of these at www.sumsumpuzzle.com
SumSum

Return to On the web