Sudoku Grid References

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Sudoku Grid References

Postby Pi » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:06 pm

I have notice that a lot of people have a system for posting grid references to refer to a particular cell in the sudoku grid, often 4 figure.

I Don't understand these and i wondered if someone could fill me in
Pi

Postby PaulIQ164 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:10 pm

Generally, we write something like 'r3c6', to mean "row 3; column 6", where the rows are numbered 1 to 9 from top to bottom, and the columns 1 to 9 from left to right, so r3c6 is this cell:

Code: Select all
...¦...¦...
...¦...¦...
...¦..X¦...
---+---+---
...¦...¦...
...¦...¦...
...¦...¦...
---+---+---
...¦...¦...
...¦...¦...
...¦...¦...
PaulIQ164

Postby Pi » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:14 pm

Thank you paul, i never knew if the r and c were constants or whether they were grid references too.

I don't mean to turn this into a help forum but using that code to put the grids in is something i have never got hold of either. If it isn't too dificult would it be possible for someone to explain that too
Pi

Postby PaulIQ164 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:46 pm

It's pretty simple really. All the code tags do is change the text from a proportional font to a fixed width one. That is to say, it changes this:

llllllllll
wwwwwwwwww

to this:

llllllllll
wwwwwwwwww

In both examples there are ten ls and ten ws, but the ones in the code tags are forced to the same width. Obviously this is important when typing out puzzle grids, which have to line up perfectly. To get your grid into a code box, you simply put the word "code" in square brackets before it, and "/code" in square brackets after it. That is to say, you do this:

[code]type out the grid here[/code]

(Confusingly, I've had to put this example in a code box of its own, because otherwise it would just turn my example of what to type into a code box. Another function of code boxes is that they suppress the other functions of the board, so if you wanted to type out a website address but, for some reason, didn't want it to appear as a clickable link on the screen, you could put it into a code box.)
PaulIQ164

Postby Pi » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:32 pm

Thank You Paul
Pi

Return to Published puzzles