Sudoku for kids

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Sudoku for kids

Postby god » Tue May 17, 2005 9:07 pm

Hi, I've just discovered this world, through the Guardian last week. Where can I get hold of puzzles for children. I'm an English teacher and love the idea of finding a way to use them in my lessons!
Cheers:?:
god

Postby Animator » Tue May 17, 2005 9:32 pm

What's the age of the children?

The program can generate very easy, easy, ... puzzles which I guess they should be able to solve... The puzzles published in the Times are also available at the Times' website (for free)...

Also I would advice you to send a mail to Wayne/Pappocom about this (I'm 95% sure he is intrested in it)... (If you need his emailaddress then go to the Memberlist and click the Email-button next to Pappocom)
Animator

Sudoku for kids

Postby god » Tue May 17, 2005 10:05 pm

Thanks Animator, I've already downloaded the free trial and I'll take a look at 'The Times' site when I've finished.
I teach kids from the age of 3 until about 15.
Cheers,
GOD
god

Postby Pappocom » Wed May 18, 2005 12:59 am

Keep an eye out on the Times Educational Supplement for an article about Sudoku and kids. The author of the article is a headteacher, and the article is on using Sudoku in primary schools. The author and I have been corresponding today, on a couple of peripheral matters. I don't know when the article will appear, but I could find out if you like.

Also, remember that the Sudoku program can do 4 cell x 4 cell "grids for kids", and you can use colors and shapes, if you like.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Wed May 18, 2005 7:59 am

Further to the colours and shapes, I think it would be fun (not just for the kids!) if you were to print out a grid with coloured shapes on it and have the kids stick the appropriate shape on to the grid. You could even engage them in choosing, making and colouring said shapes.

Luna *who's a big kid at heart, obviously*
lunababy_moonchild

Postby NigelG » Wed May 18, 2005 9:15 am

Great Idea!

We are doing them together and as long as my daughter wants to do them I know she is learning to problem solve, and she thinks she is having fun.

Every one a winner.

They are a great way for us to do something quiet together:D
NigelG

Return to Published puzzles