SUDOKU Excel Spreadsheet Solution

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

SUDOKU Excel Spreadsheet Solution

Postby paulc » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:05 pm

I have an Excel Spreadsheet that solves Sudoku puzzles. You may bring up the spreadsheet and solve a puzzle directly in your browser, or save the spreadsheet on your computer and bring it up in Excel.

The instructions are simple: 1. Enter the given numbers into the matirx; 2. Hit enter to make sure you entered the last number; 3. Hit the SOLVE Button and either the solution will appear or you will be notified of no solution.

The spreadsheet is at http://www.paulcweb.com/sudoku/sudoku.xls or you can simply enter www.paulcweb.com/sudoku

The macros contained in the spreadsheet solve the puzzle, and do nothing else.
paulc

Excel Spreadsheet Solver, Version 2

Postby paulc » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:46 pm

I have updated this spreadsheet so that it can aid in solving even the most difficult puzzles.

The features added are the ability to capture the state of your partial solution, the ability to regress your partial solution, and the ability to highlight all possible positions for a given integer.
paulc

Updated Excel Spreadsheet SUDOKU Puzzle Solver

Postby paulc » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:02 pm

This updated spreadsheet has been able to solve all Sudoku puzzles that I have tried.

After solving the puzzle there is a button that checks to see that the solution is unique, or, if not, finds another solution. If there are multiple solutions, the spreadsheet can calculate how may solutions there are.

The spreadsheet is at http://www.paulcweb.com/sudoku/sudoku.xls or you can simply enter www.paulcweb.com/sudoku

The macros contained in the spreadsheet solve the puzzle, and do nothing else.

The spreadsheet animates the solution process at the expense of being quite slow.

The spreadsheet works with Excel 97 and later versions of Excel. The previous version required Excel 2000 or later.

If you find a puzzle that this spreadsheet does not solve please let me know.

The spreadsheet is protected to prevent clobbering formulae, but has no password. The maros are hidden because some of the code is pretty sloppy. This is my first attempt to use VBA (or any VB dialect). If you want to see the macros, please contact me, and I will give you the password.
paulc

Thank You

Postby Nelson » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:50 pm

Paulc, your program is great, especially it can try all solutions. I also make an excel file to solve the puzzle but it is just a Kindergarten grade compare with yours. I just be able to use the Function in the worksheet and record some marco. It can't do it automatically and I just can use the marco to copy the results one by one to the worksheet after I click the results in another cell. I think I should start to learn the VBA. Thank you for your excel file.

Nelson
Nelson

Return to Software