Sudoku Collection

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Sudoku Collection

Postby Pupp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:14 am

Here's a website with some Sudoku puzzle collections. https://sites.google.com/site/dobrichev/sudoku-puzzle-collections

The only 3 files I could get any traction with was the 17 clue puzzles and the 38 clue puzzles (2 files). I didn't try all the collections, but some are in ascii and I'm not sure what to rename the extension to make them usable outside of copy/pasting single games into a sudoku app.

I have a workaround to combine and extract the two parts of the 38 clue collection.

The massive Puzzle Collection with 38 givens is in TWO PARTS. As is, you cannot combine the files to unzip. This is my work around. I used 7-zip.

1. Copy the 2 parts into a new folder.

2. Rename both files +1
That is, part.00 needs to be part.01, and part .01 needs to be .02
(I started by renaming 38puz2014078.zip.part.01 to 38puz2014078.zip.part.02, then renamed 38puz2014078.zip.part.00 to 38puz2014078.zip.part.01)

3. Using 7-zip or another similar program, select 38puz2014078.zip.part.01 and COMBINE that file. 7 Zip will combine that file with any sequential file names. (In this case 38puz2014078.zip.part.02)

4. Take the resulting combined file, which will be 38puz2014078.zip.part and EXTRACT that file.

5. Open the folder that the extracted file is in... the folder created by 7 zip. There will be a file with no name inside it, other than a hyphen symbol. RENAME THAT FILE to whatever suits you, but use .sdm at the end. Technically the file could be named *.txt file, but it crushed NOTEPAD on Windows 10.
Pupp

Re: Sudoku Collection

Postby enxio27 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:30 pm

dobrichev is a regular here. I'm sure he'll be pleased with the mention.

The ASCII text files can be imported into several programs (Sudocue, SadMan Sudoku, Sudoku 10000) by changing the file extension to either .SDC or .SDM.
enxio27

Postby Pupp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:10 pm

Thanks.
Pupp

Postby Pupp » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:33 pm

enxio27 wrote:dobrichev is a regular here. I'm sure he'll be pleased with the mention.

The ASCII text files can be imported into several programs (Sudocue, SadMan Sudoku, Sudoku 10000) by changing the file extension to either .SDC or .SDM.

I have not been able to get Sudoku 10,000 plus to import .sdm files. I think I've read other about other people complaining about that too.
Pupp

Postby enxio27 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:07 pm

Pupp wrote:I have not been able to get Sudoku 10,000 plus to import .sdm files. I think I've read other about other people complaining about that too.

It's been a while, but I have done it before. Interestingly, I'm not seeing the version I have in the Google Play Store. Mine is just Sudoku 10000, not "Free" or "Plus", and it's version 6.20. I believe it was the original paid version, before Sudoku 10000 Plus. It seems that the 1gravity Web site is mostly being reconstructed, but this page is still active (albeit with outdated links): http://www.1gravity.com/import.html
If you're trying to import solely from those links, it won't work because the files are no longer at those links. (I have all of the ones from Sudocue and can upload them here if needed. I might also have the ones from OpenSudoku--I'll have to look.)
enxio27

Postby Pupp » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:57 pm

Ok. Thanks for the information.
Pupp

Postby enxio27 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:17 pm

I did some playing around with Sudoku 10000 Free and Sudoku 10000 (the original paid version, which apparently is no longer recognized as a paid version). Both have a function to import SDM files, but currently the only options given are the files on the http://www.1gravity.com/import.html page, in which all but the first are broken links. I happen to have all of the files from the OpenSudoku and Sudocue links, but wasn't able to import them. The instructions say to open an SDM file from the device's file manager and the app will import it, but my phone says it doesn't know what to do with the file. It offers to take me to the Google Play Store to find a suitable app, but even when I choose Sudoku 10000, it won't use it. Based on the current state of the app's Web site, I'm not holding out a lot of hope of getting any help from the developer.

In other news, the updated version of OpenSudoku DOES (try to) import SDM files, but I am currently getting an "invalid format" error when I try it. I have an email in to the developer (Oscar Garcia) who took over from the original one (Roman Masek). The new OpenSudoku Web site also has the same puzzle files that 1gravity's site shows, but at the new location, and OpenSudoku successfully imported those. He also has a github site for the app and has been active there fairly recently (June).
enxio27

Postby Pupp » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:48 am

enxio27 wrote:I did some playing around with Sudoku 10000 Free and Sudoku 10000 (the original paid version, which apparently is no longer recognized as a paid version). Both have a function to import SDM files, but currently the only options given are the files on the http://www.1gravity.com/import.html page, in which all but the first are broken links. I happen to have all of the files from the OpenSudoku and Sudocue links, but wasn't able to import them. The instructions say to open an SDM file from the device's file manager and the app will import it, but my phone says it doesn't know what to do with the file. It offers to take me to the Google Play Store to find a suitable app, but even when I choose Sudoku 10000, it won't use it. Based on the current state of the app's Web site, I'm not holding out a lot of hope of getting any help from the developer.

In other news, the updated version of OpenSudoku DOES (try to) import SDM files, but I am currently getting an "invalid format" error when I try it. I have an email in to the developer (Oscar Garcia) who took over from the original one (Roman Masek). The new OpenSudoku Web site also has the same puzzle files that 1gravity's site shows, but at the new location, and OpenSudoku successfully imported those. He also has a github site for the app and has been active there fairly recently (June).

I agree with you.

I downloaded a file manager for my phone (android), and I was able to choose Sudoku 10000 Plus to open the file, but even that didn't work. Android doesn't really ship with a file manager, at least, compared to what you get when you install an actual file manager for Android OS.
Pupp

Postby enxio27 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:56 am

UPDATE: I received a reply from Oscar Garcia. He said that the Tarek Pearly 6000 file is too big for OpenSudoku to import. He advised breaking it into 1000-puzzle chunks and importing them separately. I did so and was able to successfully import them into OpenSudoku. I'm still waiting to hear back from him on the exact limit of a single .SDM file, but at least now we know that it works.

Out of curiosity, which file manager did you download and install on your phone? I have two, the Samsung one and another one, both of which came with my phone, but I don't particularly like either one. As it stands now, if I have to do more than the most minimal file managing, I attach my phone to my laptop and move files around using Windows' file manager.
enxio27

Postby Pupp » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:09 pm

enxio27 wrote:UPDATE: I received a reply from Oscar Garcia. He said that the Tarek Pearly 6000 file is too big for OpenSudoku to import. He advised breaking it into 1000-puzzle chunks and importing them separately. I did so and was able to successfully import them into OpenSudoku. I'm still waiting to hear back from him on the exact limit of a single .SDM file, but at least now we know that it works.

Out of curiosity, which file manager did you download and install on your phone? I have two, the Samsung one and another one, both of which came with my phone, but I don't particularly like either one. As it stands now, if I have to do more than the most minimal file managing, I attach my phone to my laptop and move files around using Windows' file manager.

I used AMAZE. It's free and does the job.
There are quite a few android file managers though. I'd think most or all of them will do an adequate job for the average use.

Considering how many years the Android OS has been out, you'd think Google would have fully functional built-in file manager on par with Windows 10. [Excluding powershell or CMD stuff.]
Pupp

Return to General