Sudokool - a must try

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Sudokool - a must try

Postby tech_cheetah » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:30 pm

Hi friends
I have developed a free sudoku game and named it Sudokool.
It is in java. So u need jre 1.5 (recommended , though it will work in jre 1.4). The game works with puzzles which are solvable with logic alone.
A cool preview :

Now the game runs smoothly on linux also.
u can get the latest version of Sudokool here
Please submit ur valuable comments and suggestions. U r free to host this game on ur own site and distribute it to others if u like it.
Last edited by tech_cheetah on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tech_cheetah

Re: Sudokool - a must try

Postby Wren » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:45 pm

tech_cheetah wrote:Hi friends
I have developed a free sudoku game and named it Sudokool.
It is in java. So u need jre 1.5 (recommended , though it will work in jre 1.4). The game works with puzzles which are solvable with logic alone.

I don't have any free space available, n geocities corrupted my zip file,
so i had to upload it on rapidshare.
u can get the game here
Please submit ur valuable comments and suggestions. U r free to host this game on ur own site and distribute it to others if u like it.

Hi,
great job, but if you add "pencil marks" ?? it'd be very useful and great !
bye
Wren

Postby tech_cheetah » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:48 pm

oh man !
plz play the game . I have included pencil marks. When u right click on a blank point , the point is marked with gray colour (pencil mark).
tech_cheetah

Postby tech_cheetah » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:41 pm

Tips :
1.How to use pencil/guess
use guess only when u get struck at a point where u cannot proceed further by all the logic u have .
U should guess at a point where there are only two possible entries.
Right click to make a pencin mark .Now work out the puzzle using right click.If the point is guessed right then all the entries will fall correctly in
their places.Don't forget to erase these pencil marks n fill the point with left click before submitting the puzzle.
2.Issue of the records
-Records will consist of only those puzzles which u have played from the library(easy,medium and hard) .In other words custom games will not make any entry in the records.
-Puzzles which are completed in a single sitting only will be entered into the record.Those which u save and load n then complete will not have any entry in the records.
tech_cheetah

Postby tso » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:00 pm

You are not using the term "pencil marks" as it is commonly understood. Below is a Sudoku that is being solved using "pencil marks", also known as "candidate lists" or "possibles", etc. The small numbers within each cell are the only digits that may still go in that cell. Sudokus above a certain level of difficulty may require humans to use (at least some) pencil marks in order to make progress logically. Though it's certainly logical to take a guess and go on from there until there is a solution or contradition, many or most people find this far less satisfying. Moreover, without using pencil marks that would enable other logical steps, instead relying on your suggested method of guessing -- some Sudokus would be incredibly difficult to solve by a human as they would require very convoluted recursion -- guesses within guesses within guesses within guesses.

tso

Postby tech_cheetah » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:11 pm

My algorithm is based on elimination, so including pencil marks in the game is not a problem at all.But i designed the game keeping in mind the people who play the newpaper sudoku.So i designed it in a way so that user can enter the puzzle on the grid and verify if the puzzle is slovable only by logic,and then he may play te game.Thats why the game contains three difficulty levels only ie. easy,medium & hard.
Now getting the valuable feedback and suggestions from friends like u, prompts me to include the pencil feature for solving even harder levels of sudoku.I will do the same as soon as i get some time.
tech_cheetah

Postby tech_cheetah » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:24 pm

Moreover many of the harder levels are not solvable by logic alone !!!
And my algo works only on those puzzles which are solved by logic alone.
So if i incorporate pencil work (usefull only for these harder levels),my algo will not solve these puzzles which require guess.And user will have to finish the puzzle on his own.So actually this will diminish the beauty of the game.
tech_cheetah

Postby tso » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:45 am

You might want to read the last few months of posts to the forum to get up to speed. Also check out the programmers' forum.

All Sudokus with a unique solution are solvable by logic alone -- though that logic may be beyond the capabilities of any specific individual or logic-based computer solver. Further, the level at which most people need to use pencil marks (including smartypants types like myself) is no where near the hardest levels possible.
tso

Postby tech_cheetah » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:59 pm

All Sudokus with a unique solution are solvable by logic alone

Well thats the crux of the issue.. if it is true then it is an eye opener for me.Thanks alot for ur help.I m doing more research on the statement now.
tech_cheetah

Postby tech_cheetah » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:09 pm

Sudokool updated :
1. The game now runs on both linux and windows.
(I have not tested on other OS, but thnx to platform independent java technology on which this game is developed, hope it will run smoothly on others too.)
2.Game window made resizable.
3.Added file select/browse in save/load option to make the things easy in case of large no. of saved games.

Link in first post has also been updated.
U can get the latest Sudokool here
tech_cheetah

Return to Software