Sudo-Q

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Sudo-Q

Postby rubylips » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:17 pm

Whilst down the gym this morning I saw a program called Sudo-Q on the BBC, albeit with the sound turned down. Contestants had to complete a 2x3 Sudoku puzzle against the stopwatch. Those I watched made a complete hash of the task, especially given that all the necessary placements appeared to be trivial. To be fair, the format of the show appeared a reasonable attempt to adapt Sudoku to the demands of live TV. At least it took my mind off the cricket on the adjacent screen.:(
rubylips

Postby afjt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:50 pm

I caught it last Friday. The team that won it that day were very good (or their captain was anyway).
afjt

Postby Pi » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:12 pm

I haven't heard of this but a trivial 2X3 does seam very easy.

At least give them a moderate puzzle
Pi

Postby afjt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:45 pm

It's a combination of a general knowledge quiz and sudoku. They answer questions, which gives them the opportunity to place a number in a square chosen by the quizmaster, so it isn't necessarily trivial. It's all against the clock, so don't expect any X-wings !
afjt

Postby Pi » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:57 pm

so i assume people are working out a number before they get a question
Pi

Postby afjt » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:53 pm

but you don't get told which square until the question is answered.
afjt

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:27 pm

I saw it this morning and, given the choice, would have opted for the cricket. I quickly switched over. Then again, maybe that's just me. I think that a general knowledge quiz should be a general knowledge quiz and sudoku is sudoku.

If someone is going to make a TV programme on the subject, it is my opinion that they should do an Open University like program, teaching advanced techniques (such as exist on this forum and not widely known to the general public) and how to create puzzles, with sections on the eternal arguments of Computer Generated vs Hand-Crafted, 'what is logic' and 'is trial and error a valid solving method or simply entertainment' etc.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Pi » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:32 pm

I think that it is hard to make sudoku a TV program. Sky one made a poor effort (not helped by using an normous sudoku on a hillside to promote it and it having nearly 2000 solutions)
Pi

Postby rubylips » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:01 pm

lunababy_moonchild wrote:If someone is going to make a TV programme on the subject, it is my opinion that they should do an Open University like program, teaching advanced techniques (such as exist on this forum and not widely known to the general public) and how to create puzzles, with sections on the eternal arguments of Computer Generated vs Hand-Crafted, 'what is logic' and 'is trial and error a valid solving method or simply entertainment' etc.

So you think Sudoku would make an appropriate degree subject?
rubylips

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:24 pm

rubylips wrote:So you think Sudoku would make an appropriate degree subject?

No, I think it would make an interesting programme if presented in an Open University like way. I do have the ability to follow complex subject matter when presented in a clear way, especially on television, and I think that Sudoku can be presented in such a way. In spite of the fact that it's a puzzle.

It's still relatively new, though, so I'm sure that someone will come up with something.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby PaulIQ164 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:07 pm

By they way, you can play Sudo-Q online at www.bbc.co.uk/sudoq. It's more of a general knowledge quiz, really, but good fun I thought.

My time was 4:59 if anyone cares to try and beat it.
PaulIQ164

Postby Ruud » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:42 pm

My time was 13:29.

Not being from the UK, nor having an IQ of 164, I had to guess the answers to most of the questions.:(

Ruud.
Ruud

Postby rubylips » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:47 pm

6:17 for me. PaulIQ164, you are truly worth each point of your massive Intelligence Quotient.
rubylips

Postby PaulIQ164 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:57 pm

Aww, thanks.
PaulIQ164

Postby Crazy Girl » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:37 am

Just how did some people manage to answer 24 questions in 1 minute 10 seconds:?: and work out the grid as well? (<3 seconds for question and grid cell)

does one copy the answer down from the quiz show, so already know the grid and the order the cells light up, and pay attention to the questions on the Quiz (ie a real bonus if you watched the show)

or

Does a general knowledge help answer the questions and you don't need to watch the show?
Crazy Girl

Next

Return to General