Submitting a prize Sudoku

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Submitting a prize Sudoku

Postby murraywright » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:00 am

Does anyone know what do you have to send in the e-mail when submitting a prize Su doku solution?
murraywright

Postby PaulIQ164 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:20 pm

When I do it, I just type out a big grid of numbers in the body of the email like this:

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx

and then afterwards put my name and address, and then send it. Mind you, it hasn't worked yet!
PaulIQ164

Postby possum » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:12 pm

I do the same as Paul, but I also put my phone number so that they ring to arrange delivery of the champagne. So far they haven't been in touch...
possum

Postby Togidubunus » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:59 pm

Submitting the weekend Samurai involves only sending in the results of the shaded boxes, of course. The other week I sent in my answer squares and discovered that I had completed it incorrectly. My answer squares, however, were correct. I wonder if the compilers are aware of this possibility.
Togidubunus

Postby PaulIQ164 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:13 pm

Clearly it's possible to get the 4 'key' digits correct and make a mistake elsewhere - I doubt there's any way to construct a puzzle so that you absolutely have to fill in those 4 boxes last (certainly I very rarely do), and once those are filled in, you can obviously put seventeens in all the remaining boxes if you want and it won't stop those four being right. But I think they are chosen so that if you go spectacularly wrong anywhere then you won't get them right.
PaulIQ164

Postby Pi » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:09 pm

I always find that those four are among the last to be filled in

but then again i have't been trying to beat them
Pi

Postby PaulIQ164 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:05 pm

Yes, they're certainly among the last ones, but not necessarily the very last ones. Also, does anyone else feel the positioning of those shaded cells gives you a bit of a clue? I mean, if all four shaded cells are in the central grid, it's a fair bet that you'll be doing a lot of work on the outer grids first, whereas if they're in the outer grids, you probably want to start working in the centre.
PaulIQ164

Return to Published puzzles