Su Doku from The Kathmandu Post

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Postby scrose » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Finlip wrote:This was the solution given in the newspaper.

Using the published solution as a guide, if you add enough clues to make the original starting grid symmetrical, the new starting grid has one solution and the Pappocom software rates the puzzle as "medium".

Code: Select all
 2 1 . | . 9 . | . 3 .
 3 7 . | 1 . 8 | . . 4
 . . 8 | . . 3 | 1 . .
-------+-------+-------
 7 3 . | . 8 . | . . 2
 . 2 . | . 1 . | . 9 .
 9 . . | . 4 . | . 1 6
-------+-------+-------
 . . 2 | 8 . . | 9 . .
 5 . . | 9 . 2 | . 8 1
 . 9 . | . 6 . | . 2 7

If you have the newspaper handy, could you please post the newspaper's solution for this puzzle?
scrose

Postby Finlip » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:18 am

scrose wrote:
Finlip wrote:This was the solution given in the newspaper.

Using the published solution as a guide, if you add enough clues to make the original starting grid symmetrical, the new starting grid has one solution and the Pappocom software rates the puzzle as "medium".

Code: Select all
 2 1 . | . 9 . | . 3 .
 3 7 . | 1 . 8 | . . 4
 . . 8 | . . 3 | 1 . .
-------+-------+-------
 7 3 . | . 8 . | . . 2
 . 2 . | . 1 . | . 9 .
 9 . . | . 4 . | . 1 6
-------+-------+-------
 . . 2 | 8 . . | 9 . .
 5 . . | 9 . 2 | . 8 1
 . 9 . | . 6 . | . 2 7

If you have the newspaper handy, could you please post the newspaper's solution for this puzzle?
So on that day the newspaper must have made a mess. They asked two puzzles, one rated easy and the other hard. However, apparently both were wrong. I don't have the solution to the second puzzle with me right now but I have to apologize here for the fact that I put an extra dot between 4 and 1 and there had to be four dots at the end. But I have a feeling that the puzzle might still be wrong.

Actually I have the solution with me at the time I'm editing this post. But I don't want to look at the solution until I try. If there is only one soloution to this puzzle, I'd like to give it a try.

Carefully, the second puzzle was exactly like this
I have rechecked it and this time I know for sure that I copied it correctly. I apologize again for my carelessness on more than one occasion earlier.
Finlip

Postby Pappocom » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:57 am

Perhaps, Finlip, you should tell the Katmandhu Post that they can get reliable Sudoku puzzles from Pappocom for free!

- Wayne
Pappocom

Postby Finlip » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:46 am

Do you provide your puzzles for free to all newspapers, Pappocom?
Finlip

Postby Pappocom » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:51 am

Yes.

... although I do reserve the right to be selective. There can be (inoffensive, legitimate) reasons why I can't supply a particular paper.

- Wayne
Pappocom

Previous

Return to Published puzzles