Stuck very hard

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Postby davidpbrown » Sun May 08, 2005 7:20 pm

an infinite number in a finite grid!

methinks the very hard puzzles that are soluable with Pappocom's valid logic set must be a little less than infinite.

I'd be very interested to know how many that is but another thread suggests its not simple to answer.
:)
davidpbrown

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Sun May 08, 2005 9:34 pm

David

Thanks for the answer to the grid question. I've been trying for ages to get the program (end of my trial version) to print out giant grids and came to the conclusion that it only did large (I have eyesight challenges that makes it easier for me to use giant grids such as the one you posted and print them on paper), which are just that little bit too small. Like Duncan, the only problem I have with the program is not getting the giant grids that I require. Which is why I asked you how you did it.

I haven't made any transcription mistakes so far though, so I might consider purchasing the program but it does seem a touch pointless to me to generate a puzzle by computer and then to hand transcribe it. I can see why the book/newspaper puzzles need to be transcribed.

Well done on solving the puzzle. I'm still on Fiendish level.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby davidpbrown » Mon May 09, 2005 2:12 am

Hi Luna,

You may know more about this than I do but are you aware you can slightly change the size and colors of the pencil marks?

-> F2(Appearance) + fonts tab + Features[pencil marks 0-9) and increase the size / making them bold.
Also the colour tab might help.. changing to a darker grey?

and then if you're using XP, the magnifier (desktop F1 + 'magnify') might also help.

HTH
davidpbrown
davidpbrown

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Mon May 09, 2005 9:29 am

No, David I didn't know that, thanks for the tip.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby clara5218 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:44 pm

hi davidpbrown, plse forgive me, im new at this game, but are you sure your pencil marks are correct in your grid? i see a 4 can be pencilled in at row 6 column 5 you only list 6,8 but i cant see why you cannot pencil in a four? is it because there are pencil marks for 4 in the r5c6 and r6c6? please explain why 4 should not be pencilled in at r6c5 - please dont see this as a criticism i am just trying to understand the rules of putting in pencil marks - cheers
clara5218

Postby Francisco » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:25 pm

clara5218 wrote:hi davidpbrown, plse forgive me, im new at this game, but are you sure your pencil marks are correct in your grid? i see a 4 can be pencilled in at row 6 column 5 you only list 6,8 but i cant see why you cannot pencil in a four? is it because there are pencil marks for 4 in the r5c6 and r6c6? please explain why 4 should not be pencilled in at r6c5 - please dont see this as a criticism i am just trying to understand the rules of putting in pencil marks - cheers

He probably had a 4 before cleaning up the grid, but the reason he can't have a 4 in that position is because 6 and 8 can only be in columns 5 or 8, therefore since they must be in these columns 4 can't be.:)
Francisco

Postby clara5218 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:28 pm

thanks francisco, you made me "see it right' with your explanation - now if i could just trouble you for an explanation as to just how to recognise the x-wing which IJ can see in the large grid please?
clara5218

Postby Animator » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:31 pm

IJ's X-Wing was a mistake... there is no X-wing in this puzzle:)
Animator

Postby clara5218 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:42 pm

thanks Animator, not knowing how to recognise them is hard enough, no criticism of IJ from me at all - my thanks to everyone who helps us 'newies' !! now ive got to get back to trying to actually 'see' an xwing in a puzzle without knowing just what they do look like!!!! any comments? so very sorry but the explanations ive read to date havent got thru my (thick?) head yet - cheers
clara5218

Previous

Return to Advanced solving techniques