Solving technique for non-math people

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Solving technique for non-math people

Postby RaGale » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:16 pm

1 Move through the puzzle recording only the binaries in R,S,C (Rows, Squares, Columns). Binary: the only two possible placements in a R,S,C.
2 Look for singles in a R,S,C. A single possibility is your answer.
3 When you find a correct number and fill it in, erase the corresponding number in R,S,C. Then rebalance binaries in R,S,C.
4 Eventually, the undetermined squares will reduce to binaries within R,S,C.
5 If stuck, move through each row in sequence looking for at least two possible placements of each number that has not yet been determined; then repeat the process by column, then repeat the process by box. Where there is only one of a given number remaining in the R,S,C, that is the correct number.

Helpful Hints
1 All 9 - a number must work in all 9 locations within the puzzle or it is misplaced
2 Binary Pairs- one of the two binary numbers must be used in its R,S,C
3 Choice - There are no choices in Sudoku, all number placements are dictated. If you made a choice, you probably made a mistake!
4 Binary possible placement - The binary pairs in a row or column within a box dictate the actual placement of one of its numbers in an adjacent R,S,C.
5 Rushing, Guessing - no rushing or guessing; put the puzzle down, when you come back you will see other possibilities
6 Square check - if the number you wish to place in a row is already somewhere else in the square, it cannot go there
RaGale

Postby Mada » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:33 pm

WOW !!!
Mada
Mada

Postby RaGale » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:41 pm

Mada wrote:WOW !!!
Mada

I you liked, possibly you'll also like my music creations at http://rayandbuckymusic.com/
RaGale

Postby ab » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:19 am

I think he was hoping for a non-math approach and words like binaries and abbreviations like R,S,C scared him off.
ab

Postby RaGale » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:52 pm

ab wrote:I think he was hoping for a non-math approach and words like binaries and abbreviations like R,S,C scared him off.

Oh yea. It could be. Hard to interpret a single word like "wow.":D:?:
RaGale

Postby sirdave » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:56 pm

The title of the thread implies that math people approach Sudoku differently and with more competence than 'non-math' people. Except for the use of more advanced methods that have underlying Boolean logic at their core, Sudoku is not a math puzzle or exercise and methods that will take one to the point of being able to handle the most diabolical of the newspaper puzzles require no math whatsoever- just an ability to recognize patterns and apply basic solving methods.
sirdave
2010 Supporter

Return to Advanced solving techniques