Solving grid

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Solving grid

Postby Starjim » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:13 pm

I have tried using several different methods for solving. I first created three different grid sets. Horizontal, Vertical and box using Excel.

Then I combined a few until I got to what I find to be a really useful sovling tool.

Remember that Sudoku is a process of elimination. So here is my grid: http://www.starjim.com/Sudoku%20Horiz3.xls BTW you will need Excel to open this link.

What I do is print off a sheet, then I fill in the given numbers for the puzzle. I then begin the process of eliminating the given numbers from each set of 1 to 9s throughout the worksheet. I completely cross out the number clue sets whenever I fill in a box in the puzzle.

This also give me a complete visual of the possible combinations showing what numbers are always available for each box in the puzzle. Try it out and let me know how it works for you.

I find that using a heavy marker to completely cross out used numbers works best and I sometimes will use a red pen to write in the numbers of the solved numbers. Helps me not to look at so much black ink.

Jim
Starjim

Return to Advanced solving techniques