Solutions to August 31st Killer Su Doku puzzles

All about puzzles in newspapers, magazines, and books

Solutions to August 31st Killer Su Doku puzzles

Postby bridgarw » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:28 pm

I cannot find the solutions to these introductory puzzles on The Times website. Does anyone know if they are posted there? Or anywhere else?
bridgarw

Postby CathyW » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:26 pm

No word at all about the solutions - I still have the T2 from 31st August (minus the page with the five puzzles which I posted completed!) but I can't see anything elsewhere about when the solutions would be printed. I guess we'll have to contact The Times to find out - I believe publication of the Killer Sudoku book was delayed which was part of the prize so maybe they're waiting for that?
CathyW

Postby bridgarw » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:47 am

Thanks for the reply CathyW. Did you post your completed puzzles on this site? Can you point me to the post?
bridgarw

Postby udosuk » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:38 pm

I've worked them all out, and can post all 5 solutions right here... that's if the Wayne (the administrator) is okay with it...

Just wondering, does anyone have any ideas about presenting the empty killer grids using ascii text, with the sums and the regions clearly and nicely shown?
udosuk

Postby CathyW » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:44 pm

Sorry - I meant I had posted the sheet of the newspaper to The Times to enter the competition, not that I had posted the solutions here. Foolishly I didn't keep a copy so I'd have to do them all again! Over to udosuk since he's willing.

No idea about how to present the grids. When I messed up today's puzzle I resorted to printing out a blank sudoku grid and using good old fashioned coloured pens to hand draw the 'cages' so I could start over. It only takes one silly mistake:!:
CathyW

Postby bridgarw » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:03 pm

Oops! I misunderstood your use of the word post CathyW!

Sorry I can't help, udosuk about how to post the solutions onto this site, but I do hope someone can as I really would like to see them! The tough and the deadly especially!!!
bridgarw

Postby udosuk » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:40 am

Solutions have been PMed to bridgarw & CathyW. Don't want to post the spoilers out here without Wayne's approval first.

Also, a quite messy presentation of the Killer puzzles could be like this:

Code: Select all
30          29 12
 x--x--x--x  x  x--x--x--x
 | 13        |    31    14
 x  x--x  x--x--x  x--x  x
6   |  | 22        |  |  |
 x  x--x  x--x  x--x--x  x
 | 16    29  |    16     |
 x  x--x  x  x--x  x--x  x
35     |  |           |  |
 x--x  x  x--x--x--x  x  x
 |  |  |  6    23     | 36
 x--x  x  x--x  x--x  x  x
14  |  |  |     | 23     |
 x  x  x  x  x--x  x--x  x
 |       20        |  |  |
 x--x--x  x--x--x  x--x  x
16    14     |           |
 x--x  x--x  x  x--x--x--x

It's not one of the Times puzzles, but from this thread: http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/viewtopic.php?t=995
udosuk

Postby bridgarw » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:05 am

Just wanted to post my thanks to udosuk here too - it must have taken ages to carefully type all those numbers! It is much appreciated.
bridgarw

Postby udosuk » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:28 am

LOL... Just costed me a few seconds for each of the grids, because I just used angusj's "simple sudoku" program to solve the grids, and after I finish each puzzle I just copy & paste the completed grid onto notepad. Wasn't as hard as you thought. ^_^
udosuk

Return to Published puzzles