Solution Grid

Advanced methods and approaches for solving Sudoku puzzles

Solution Grid

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 12:04 pm

I have been using a Solution Grid to help solving Sudoku puzzles.

If you would like to use it, feel free.

You can download it by visiting : http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~csucif/Sudoku/index.html

Any comments, please post here.

Hope it is useful to someone.

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 3:59 pm

Please post if you like the Solution Grid. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds it any good.

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 17, 2005 4:45 pm

Crikey, give us half a chance will ya:)

Personally I like the idea but I can't use it myself because of my eyesight problems. Basically the black, surrounding the pencilmark numbers, next to the white of the grid causes problems with me focussing. Then again, I am partially sighted so that might have something to do with it (which is why I hadn't posted earlier). However, having shown the grid to my father, who is not partially sighted, he felt the same way.

It's difficult to explain the effect - another reason I didn't post earlier - it's like: sometimes houndstooth check on the TV makes your eyes squint, which is why nobody on TV wears it.

If you could find a way of reducing this effect (and making the big number squares bigger, so that I can make the big numbers out a lot easier too) I'd be able to use it, but I do think that it's a good idea.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 6:12 pm

Thanks for your feedback Luna.

I have produced a version that doesn't have the black squares and is larger in size. Perhaps that might be better, do let me know if you think it's usable for you.

Available to download from : http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~csucif/Sudoku/

Postby RFB » Tue May 17, 2005 6:49 pm

I think it would be slightly better without the bold box around the big number boxes.
RFB

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Tue May 17, 2005 9:20 pm

Much, much better but it still has the same sort of effect.

Like RFB, I think that if you took out the bold around the boxes for the big numbers, and since I don't need to make pencil marks, made the boxes for the big numbers as big as it's physically possible to get on to an A4 sheet of paper (or I could write the clues in in red!).

It looks good though.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Re: Solution Grid

Postby sudokuist » Thu May 19, 2005 5:02 am

Tom wrote:I have been using a Solution Grid to help solving Sudoku puzzles.

If you would like to use it, feel free.

You can download it by visiting : http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~csucif/Sudoku/index.html

Any comments, please post here.

Hope it is useful to someone.

It is great:)
sudokuist

Postby RFB » Thu May 19, 2005 8:44 am

lunababy_moonchild wrote:... since I don't need to make pencil marks, made the boxes for the big numbers as big as it's physically possible to get on to an A4 sheet of paper (or I could write the clues in in red!).

It looks good though.

Luna

Surely the whole idea is that it is a aid for those who do like to use pencil marks:!:
There are any number of templates for printing empty grids, this is one of the first that helps with pencil marking and whilst not perfect is a good concept.:)
RFB

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu May 19, 2005 1:45 pm

Um, what I actually meant was that since the pencil marks are provided I don't have to pencil them in on the side of the grid (i.e. in the margins of the paper) so there is room to make the grid as big as it's physically possible to get, on to an A4 sheet of paper.

Sorry for the confusion there, I'm not that good that I don't need pencil marks:D and it's a great grid.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby Guest » Thu May 19, 2005 4:00 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I found that when I converted my Excel file to PDF, it would make the inner box lines appear much bolder than they should be.

For those who wish to download the Excel version of my grid, which you can manipulate as you like, then I've posted it at the link below, it's not listed on my Sudoku page yet. I've protected the sheet (without a password), just to try and keep it in shape (remove it using Tools > Protection).

- Download Excel Version of the Solution Grid[http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~csucif/Sudoku/Sudoku.xls]

This was just my way of solving sudoku puzzles which I thought other players might like to try. It won't be to everyone's taste (some people like a more thoughtful challenge) which is cool, i'm just interested to hear if anyone else likes this method.

Cheers.

Postby Guest » Sun May 22, 2005 3:08 am

I did something similar. I cross out the numbers in pencil or a lighter coloured pen then when I solve each number I write it large in the box in black pen. Here's mine ...

www.users.bigpond.com/g.w.meale/Sudokugrid.pdf

solution grid

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 6:26 pm

:D

Brilliant - I have solved my first Fiendish.
Thanks.

Return to Advanced solving techniques