soduku- my way

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

soduku- my way

Postby kymmaree » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:23 am

I gave up using pen and paper, simply because paper is too fragile and I am trying to build up a puzzle collection. So I made up a new grid on excel where every cell is divided into four and photocopied it. I then laminated 6 of these grids and added two clear plastic sheets over each grid and stapled them together.
I then had 6 little books with each bottom page the laminated grid and two clear pages on top. They are about 4 x 5". I use a permanent fibre pen to fill in the number clues on the laminated grid, then on the top page I can work out the clues and fill the numbers in on the middle page. I use the divided cells for putting in options and the middle page for solved cells.
When the top page is all filled in and I don't seem to be making any headway, I erase it with a tissue and ethanol and start again. Somethimes I find I have made a mistake and entered a number on the second sheet incorrectly, then I can erase it or maybe start all over again without disturbing the grid. As I have 6 of these books, I usually have them all working at the same time and if I get stuck, I leave that one and go to another with fresh eyes.

It probably sounds complicated but it took me about 10 minutes to make them and they make solving so much easier!
kymmaree

Postby lobby__boy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:33 pm

do you pencil mark? or do you just work it all out using dry-erase?
lobby__boy

Postby kymmaree » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:46 am

Because each cell is divided into four, I can use my (not-so-permanent) marker (which wipes off easily with a little ethanol) to mark in my options on the top sheet. It helps keep me organised otherwise it seems to be a blur of little 'pencilmark' numbers. I think it is because I so often make a mistake and the paper grid just wasn't up to my so many erasures. So top sheet for "pencil marked" numbers, middle sheet for what I think is correct, bottom laminated grid for number clues and I can use them over and over again. They're a bit tougher than paper so I can write on them while holding them in one hand on the train, though Heaven knows what the other communters think of cotton buds dipped in ethanol (I keep them in a little plastic screwtop.
kymmaree

Postby simes » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:58 am

which wipes off easily with a little ethanol

hmmmmm...... ethanol <drool>
Last edited by simes on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
simes

Postby lobby__boy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:37 pm

hahaha...ethanol cotton balls. that'd be quite a trick to see someone on the train with. just a cultural note...it's really weird to see "organised" spelled with an 's'...just an american thing. we do seem to be a little obsessed (sp?) with the letter 'z' (which, interestingly enough, we can't even agree on. i say 'zee', y'all say 'zed'). eraser as well is another one. i get used to it though. i read a fair amount of C.S. Lewis and that keeps me well cultured. ha...
lobby__boy

Postby DukeTwicep » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:11 pm

Gah... someone brags about.. hmmm I have read Manuals for games and some science-fiction/fantasy in english by Isaac Asimov and by some great guys and girls... does that make me well cultured too? (One hard thing by being swede is that we write together words alot, and brittons/americans don't...)
DukeTwicep

Postby lobby__boy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:29 pm

oh...i was totally just kidding around about being well cultured. i wasn't at all meaning to sound 'high and mighty.' sorry about that. i know what you mean about putting words together though. i know a little bit of German and they do that too. my ancestors (great grand parents i believe) were swedes (not that that means anything, just is interesting).
lobby__boy

Return to General