Simple Sudoku vs. pencil and paper

Everything about Sudoku that doesn't fit in one of the other sections

Simple Sudoku vs. pencil and paper

Postby shurd12 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:32 pm

After playing Simple Sudoku for awhile, I no longer have the patience to pencil in all the candidates on a paper puzzle. These are two basically very different games. In the books now, I try to work without written candidates which makes it much more of a challenge. On the other hand, I approach Simple Sudoku with a completely different perspective since I have automatic candidates, colors, etc. which are easy to use so I can work on more difficult puzzles. Anyone else doing this?
shurd12

Postby Carcul » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:19 am

Hi Shurd12.

I think using or not pencilmarks is a question of personal taste. Personally, I like very much of writing all the possible candidates for each cell of a grid, no matter how long it takes. However, there are persons like you that also like to not use pencilmarks (RW is one of them, and he have written this post which may be of interest for you).

Regards, Carcul
Carcul

Postby Pi » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:56 pm

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I prefer pencil and paper to any computer program. I just get frustrated by the time it takes to click on each cell wheras with pencil and paper i can write something as soon as i see it.

It's not that i am phobic of technology, quite contrary, i am an amature programmer who has made sudoku programs.

I just love pencil and paper, love selecting one of my "sudoku star" pancils, a trtustworthy pen and heading for page 47 of the newspaper, i love frantically switching between pen, pencil and rubber, i love the scratching of graphite and even love the way my hand hurts after a couple of hours at the grid.

I'm sorry to all those people who have produced these games but i just don't think i'll ever take to them.
Pi

Re: Simple Sudoku vs. pencil and paper

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:49 am

shurd12 wrote:After playing Simple Sudoku for awhile, I no longer have the patience to pencil in all the candidates on a paper puzzle. These are two basically very different games. In the books now, I try to work without written candidates which makes it much more of a challenge. On the other hand, I approach Simple Sudoku with a completely different perspective since I have automatic candidates, colors, etc. which are easy to use so I can work on more difficult puzzles. Anyone else doing this?

I'm not. I solve on paper, whether or not I use candidates depends very much on the puzzle I've chosen, the difficulty I'm having, my mood at the time etc. I don't solve on computer. In fact I think I tried that just the once.

Good question though.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Postby BBSue » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:18 am

I am new at this game online and I love it. I have played with every setting and I can not figure out how to insert pencilmarks automatically back into a cell after I have made a wrong guess. I erase the wrong selection or guess and the cell stays blank rather than putting back the pencilmarks that were there. The program used to do this, but I have changed a setting somewhere. Can someone help me solve this issue? Thank for your time!:(
BBSue

Return to General