Simple Sudoku (The Program)

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Simple Sudoku (The Program)

Postby Haddock » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:54 am

:(Hi, I am new in Simple Sudoku and I cannot figure out how to enter 1 or more candidates in 1 or more cells. ie: If 2 adjacent cells can have a certain digit, I can enter this digit in the first one but not in the second one. CAn you guide me. Thanks and have a good day.

HAddock
Haddock

Postby daj95376 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:54 am

Haddock,

Simple Sudoku is a bit confusing at first ... but nice with a little experience.

First off, you need to go to the Options Menu and make the following settings:

• uncheck Show Timer
  • check Show Candidates
  • check Show All Candidates while Filtering

Now, go to the File Menu and select Create New > Design

Don't worry about entering candidates, just select the cells with givens for your puzzle and enter the values for those cells. Once you've completed filling in cells, press the F3 key and you're ready to solve the puzzle.

Note: When a cell is down to one candiate, double-click that cell to force the candidate to become a solution. The right-click button lets you remove candidate(s) in one or more cells ... and select a solution for a cell with several candidates.

Simple Sudoku has many other features. With the above instructions and reading the Help facility, you should be good to go.
daj95376
2014 Supporter

candidates

Postby Cec » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:28 am

daj95376 wrote:"...Now, go to the File Menu and select Create New > Design...."

Hmm? interesting? ...I use Simple Sudoku too but after selecting "Create New" both the "Design F2" and "Redesign" option boxes are "greyed out" leaving only a range of sample puzzles (Easy to Extreme) to select from.

I can get to a blank grid by first selecting F3 and then "Yes" to start a new puzzle which then allows me to key in a new puzzle. I suspect that my settings are incorrect which is preventing your more logical procedure to work for me.

Any explanations for my query would be appreciated.

Cec
Cec

Re: candidates

Postby udosuk » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:51 am

Cec wrote:
daj95376 wrote:"...Now, go to the File Menu and select Create New > Design...."

Hmm? interesting? ...I use Simple Sudoku too but after selecting "Create New" both the "Design F2" and "Redesign" option boxes are "greyed out" leaving only a range of sample puzzles (Easy to Extreme) to select from.

Cec, what you mentioned was normal since you were already at the "design mode"... In this mode you can freely type in the clues which would appear in blue-shaded cells (press the "space bar" to erase mistakenly typed-in clues), and you cannot exclude candidates in this stage... After typing in all the clues, you can press F3 (start solving) to enter the "solving mode". Now you can work on the puzzle by manipulating the candidates ("Alt-digit" eliminates a certain digit from the cells, "Ctrl-" and "Shift-" left clicks enable you to select multiple cells). At this stage if you select "Create New" in the menu the "Design F2" and "Redesign" options are not greyed out anymore...

Cec wrote:I can get to a blank grid by first selecting F3 and then "Yes" to start a new puzzle which then allows me to key in a new puzzle. I suspect that my settings are incorrect which is preventing your more logical procedure to work for me.

You could also solve a puzzle this way (I do that when I solve killer sudoku puzzles)... But the down side is when you entered an incorrect given clue it's a pain to undo all the way to erase it... Also, if you entered the given clues in the correct way using the "design mode", when you "copy & paste" the puzzle (Ctrl-c/Ctrl-v) you can obtained the original puzzle grid...

Hope it clarifies a little bit...:)
udosuk

Re: candidates

Postby Cec » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:09 am

udosuk wrote:"..Cec, what you mentioned was normal since you were already at the "design mode"... In this mode you can freely type in the clues...."

Yes, thanks udosuk.. I didn't realize it would work OK this way.

udosuk wrote:"..But the down side is when you entered an incorrect given clue it's a pain to undo all the way to erase it..."

You can erase the mistake (before typing in the next clue) by right clicking and selecting "Undo". However, once you type in the next clue after making a mistake then, yes, "it's a pain to undo all the way to erase it". Thanks again udosuk for your help.

Cec
Cec

Postby lunababy_moonchild » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:56 pm

I'd just like to remind everybody that :

From the Simple Sudoku Website
"I get more email than I can sensibly manage so if you want extra help with Sudoku please ask for it in the Sudoku Programmers Forum. While I may not answer your questions, other Sudoku enthusiasts are likely to help. Also, please understand that, while I'm a moderator, I'm not the owner of the Sudoku Programmers Forum and people ask questions there about Sudoku made from a number of Sudoku programmes. Finally, requests for improvements will probably be ignored since I'm unlikely to make further changes to Simple Sudoku."

This Forum is not designed to discuss the workings of someone else's program, however I'll allow this thread to stand (although locked, to prevent further discussion) to make it clear to everybody where their questions on the subject can go.

Luna
lunababy_moonchild

Return to Software