Simple Sudoku Dilemma

Programs which generate, solve, and analyze Sudoku puzzles

Simple Sudoku Dilemma

Postby Cec » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:24 am

For reasons unknown to me, when I now open the Simple Sudoku program solver which I downloaded on my computer some time ago, the entire menu bar now appears down the left side of the puzzle grid rather than the preferred position across the top of the grid. Although the menu bar still contains all the same details it is easier to "work" through the program with the menu bar at the top of the grid.

Any help to restore the menu bar to the top position would be appreciated.

Cec
Cec

Postby Pat » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:52 am

it shifted several weeks ago,
    with the change to Daylight Saving Time
      will go back to normal in the autumn
Pat

Postby udosuk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Pat wrote:

Considering Cec is not a technical IT person, I don't see the humour of this...:(

Cec, hopefully you can post a screenshot of your problematic desktop by pressing the "PrtSc" key (most likely in the top-right or top-middle region of your keyboard), then open the "Paint" application in your "Accessories" section of the "Start -> All Programs" menu, paste your screenshot there ("Edit -> Paste"), save it as a "PNG (*.PNG)" type file and upload it to an image hosting site such as tinypic.com. Then we can help you diagnose your problem.:idea:

My version of Simple Sudoku doesn't have the problem you described. Is it the only program having that problem or other programs also display that peculiar behaviour?:?:
udosuk

Simple Sudoku Dilemma

Postby Cec » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:55 pm

udosuk wrote:
Pat wrote:

Considering Cec is not a technical IT person, I don't see the humour of this...:(

Neither did I:( I would like to think Pat inadvertently omitted to show this:) at the end of his reply.

Thanks udosuk for your suggestion. When attempting to follow your procedure, only the puzzle grid is copied but not the menu bar. This also happens when basic printing a copy of an SS puzzle which copies only the puzzle but not the menu bar. It's weird that the SS program is the only one that displays this peculiar behaviour.

I also use the Scanraid puzzle solver which provides a suitable alternative program to assist solving. Thanks again for your assistance.

Cec
Cec

Postby Jasper32 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:47 pm

The URL below shows the toolbar that CEC has on the left hand side of his screen. I use the solver as well as CEC and I have not been able to move my toolbar from the top of the solver to the left hand side. I have tried dragging and various keystrokes to move it to no avail. I suggested that since this is an application on his computer as opposed to a web site, he remove "solver" from his computer completely and reinstall it. He tells me that after doing this, the toolbar is still on the left hand side of the "solver". I can't imagine a virus would be involved to cause this because it would have to be aimed directlly at the "solver". Since there are very, very few computers in this world with "solver" on it, it seems unlikely that anyone would target "solver'. My only suggestion would be for CEC to see if he could email Angus directly....explain his problem...and see what Angus replies. If any of you have a possible explanation for this, your comments would be appreciated.

[img]

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=88a24fa473&view=att&th=11d759c28ec28c44&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

[/img]
Jasper32

Postby ronk » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:14 am

Cec, what version of Simple Sudoku are you running?

To see the version, click "Help -> About" on the menu bar.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby Pat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:13 am

but i never use "smilies"
not even when i'm serious
Pat

Simple Sudoku Dilemma

Postby Cec » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:54 am

Thanks jasper32. Your above URL doesn't open up when I click on it. I've tried joining the GMail "thing" but keep getting rejected after trying various names and passwords. I too thought about contacting angusj for assistance as you suggested but he mentions in his solver website that he has more requests for assistance than he can reasonably handle so I decided not to seek help from him.

Thanks ronk . I'm using Simple Sudoku version 4.2n which I understand is the latest version. The problem I have arose about a fortnight ago and it's weird to say the least. I'm waiting for my son's PC guru mate to find time to drop in and hopefully fix the problem.

Edited by Cec 2.30pm

Cec
Cec

Re: Simple Sudoku Dilemma

Postby ronk » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:59 am

Cec wrote:I'm using Simple Sudoku version 4.2n which I understand is the latest version. The problem I have arose about a fortnight ago and it's weird to say the least.

I had a similar problem about a year ago, but it went this way ... as I recall.

The problem appeared when I installed the then latest version of Simple Sudoku. Not finding a way to configure the toolbar position back to the top, I merely reinstalled the prior version.

At the time, I thought Angus redesigned the GUI to get more room for additional items on the toolbar. However, I'm running 4.2n today also.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Postby Cec » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:04 am

ronk wrote:".....Not finding a way to configure the toolbar position back to the top, I merely reinstalled the prior version..."

Thanks ronk for your comments. This seems a way to overcome my problem. I know how to un-install programs such as the current version of SS but I don't know how to re-install a prior version. Thanks in advance if you could explain how this is done.

Cec
Cec

Postby Glyn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:56 am

Cec Ronk is currently running the latest version. So perhaps just reinstalling that one might do the trick.
Glyn

Simple Sudoku Dilemma

Postby Cec » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:42 am

Glyn wrote:Cec Ronk is currently running the latest version. So perhaps just reinstalling that one might do the trick.

I've been using the current version for some time without any problems until about a fortnight ago when the menu bar changed from its normal top position to the left side of the grid. I've previously tried reinstalling the current version (4.2n) but the menu bar is still located down the left side. Whilst Ronk mentions he is also running the latest version I'm not sure where his menu bar is?

Cec
Cec

re: angusj

Postby Pat » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:55 am

Cec wrote:I too thought about contacting angusj for assistance
but he mentions in his solver website that he has more requests for assistance than he can reasonably handle
so I decided not to seek help from him.

hi Cec,

angusj does respond (to questions / PMs) in the other Forum
Pat

Postby ronk » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:02 am

Cec wrote:I've previously tried reinstalling the current version (4.2n) but the menu bar is still located down the left side. Whilst Ronk mentions he is also running the latest version I'm not sure where his menu bar is?

If by "previously" you mean since the menu bar moved to the left, I have no further suggestions. Re-installing, as Glyn suggested, was definitely worth a try.

My menu bar is at the top, as you and I both prefer. Unfortunately, I've no clue as to when I upgraded to version 4.2n ... and no clue as to why your installation is acting different than seemingly everyone else's.
ronk
2012 Supporter

Simple Sudoku Dilemma

Postby Cec » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:27 am

Good news - my tool bar is now on top:) The problem arose after I bought a larger screen monitor about a month ago without realizing the resolution setting needed to be increased.

Thanks to all concerned for attempts to help. I'm embarrassed in now realizing, after following up on Pat's above suggestion and which prompted me to remember this thread, that I should have directed my Simple Sudoku query to the Sudoku Programmers Forum rather than the Solver Programs forum.

After posting my query to the Sudoku Programmers Forum I received an immediate response and remedy to correct my problem and I have apologised to angusj for my error in overlooking that these are two separate forums and that requests for help will be considered when posted to that forum.

I hope I have explained my self-inflicted dilemma correctly to put this thread to rest and thanks again to all who tried to help me.

Cec
Cec

Next

Return to Software