September 2, 2018

Post puzzles for others to solve here.

Re: September 2, 2018

Postby SpAce » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:31 am

SteveG48 wrote:In this situation, Clement wrote r6c5,r8c1,r7c8. Since 7 was the only candidate being discussed here, it was understood. However, with a list of cells it's not always understood whether one is referring to the set of cells or to the truth values of candidates in those cells.

Had Clement written (7)r6c5,r8c1,r7c8 , then I would insist that it's referring to the truth of 7 somewhere in that set. Had he written either
(7r6c5)(7r8c1)(7r7c8) or (7r6c5)&(7r8c1)&(7r7c8), then it would refer to the truth of 7 in all three cells. As it was written is ambiguous to me.

I think I now understand what you mean. If we say (7)r6c1 = r123c1 then OR is naturally implied within the cell group (because nothing else is possible), and I guess you're arguing that the same interpretation should be used if commas are used to group cells. I guess I must agree and thank you for clearing up some misconceptions I might have had :) Then again, I'm still certain that I've seen that other use for commas mentioned somewhere (but it doesn't apply here anyway, and perhaps it's non-standard or obsolete, I don't know).
-SpAce-: Show
Code: Select all
        *        |=()=|    /  _  \    |=()=|               *
            *    |    |   |-=( )=-|   |    |      *
     *                     \  ¯  /                   *   

"If one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi."
SpAce

Previous

Return to Puzzles