search 9 sudoku, how to start

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

search 9 sudoku, how to start

Postby fatapple » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:24 am

hello, i'm new here. i'd like to ask for some tips on solving search 9 sudoku in general. i've came to some conclusions but still i'm stuck :cry: maybe you could share some hints with me. i was looking on web but didn't really find anything. thank you in advance!
fatapple

Re: search 9 sudoku, how to start

Postby eleven » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:52 am

Didn't know Search 9 Sudoku, found it here.

Don't spoil your fun by using tips from others. Try to find out yourself the tricks.

The puzzle in the link is very easy. You can start like this:
Look at the arrow cell in row 8, column 5. There are only 3 empty cells on the left side, with distances 1, 2, and 4. This gives you a number and a 9.
For this puzzle i did not need more "tips and tricks". Just use the rules directly.
eleven

Postby dobrichev » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:29 pm

eleven wrote:Don't spoil your fun by using tips from others. Try to find out yourself the tricks. ... You can start like this: ...

I found my fun in this advice :lol:
dobrichev
2016 Supporter

Postby fatapple » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:00 pm

i started the one you've sent me and i'm starting to get it :D i think i did too heavy ones for me, that's why it was hard for me to make any move. thanks a lot for your answer!
fatapple

Postby fatapple » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:18 am

i've done a few easier ones and i'm doing better now, thanks a lot! :D
but check this one

https://prasannaseshadri.files.wordpres ... earch9.png

look at the arrow at r5c6. according to the rules, it says that 9 should be either in r5c7 or r5c8. how is it possible that 9 will be anywhere in that block if it already exists there?
fatapple

Postby eleven » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:03 pm

I don't understand this.

On the main page i found a "search 9" with the same rule:
"Additionally, each arrow points to the 9 in the respective row or column. The number in the cell with the arrow is the distance from the cell to the 9 in this row or column."

But in your picture both r8c13 point to a given 7 in r8c2.
Also it cannot be meant, that you continue counting on the other side of the row/column (in opposite direction) or that the arrow cell could be 9.
Nothing possible in row 8, is it ?

[Added:] After i had a look at that one, i can understand your original question.
I marked all cells, which cannot be 9, and pencilmarked all cells with less than 4 candidates - no chance, i cannot imagine, that there are friendly techniques, which can be used to solve it in reasonable time.
eleven

Postby Pat » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:53 pm

fatapple wrote:i've done a few easier ones and i'm doing better now, thanks a lot! :D
but check this one

prasannaseshadri.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/pointtonextorsearch9.png

look at the arrow at r5c6. according to the rules, it says that 9 should be either in r5c7 or r5c8. how is it possible that 9 will be anywhere in that block if it already exists there?

wraparound
  • r5c6 = 9
  • r8c13 = {2,9}
Pat

Postby SteveG48 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:56 pm

The puzzle is labeled as a point-to-next or search 9. That's another variant that's different from a plain search 9.

Follow Sudoku rules. Additionally, each clue will describe exactly one of these two behaviors.

1. If digit ‘n’ is placed in a cell with arrow, digit ‘n+1′ must be placed in one of the cells pointed by the arrow.

2. The arrow points at the 9 in that row or column and the number in the cell with the arrow is the distance from the cell to the 9.

Both restrictions cannot apply for the same arrow.
Steve
SteveG48
2019 Supporter

Postby fatapple » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:10 pm

ah you're right! i only saw the picture somewhere and thought it's just plain search 9 sudoku. now it works ;) thanks and sorry for the mess i've done
fatapple

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques