Samurai Sudoku Moves

Post the puzzle or solving technique that's causing you trouble and someone will help

Samurai Sudoku Moves

Postby RyanStorm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:06 am

I got this move that I am not sure works or not.

I got a samurai puzzle, the middle 9x9, the upper left house shares the house with the another 9x9 sudoku, which is the upper left 9x9 Sudoku that shares its bottom right house with the middle 9x9 Sudoku's upper left.

In this house, I got a box with 7 and 9. Well in the same 9x9 Sudoku, to the right in another house but same row, is a 3 and 7. From the 7 and 9 box, if you go left into the other 9x9 Sudoku, but still in the same row, I got another 3 and 7.

So I got a 79, with a 37 on each side in same row. Normally if 1 normal Sudoku, that would allow me to erase the 7, and make it a 9. However, I don't know if that rule still applies when doing Samurai, using pencil marks from two houses in different 9x9 Sudokus. I checked my solution sheet, and it does show that the 9 is the correct answer but I need to make sure it is a legit move.
RyanStorm

Re: Samurai Sudoku Moves

Postby RyanStorm » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:06 am

I solved my puzzle, but that move would if it would have worked, would have cut some time off.
RyanStorm

Re: Samurai Sudoku Moves

Postby m_b_metcalf » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:38 am

RyanStorm wrote:I solved my puzzle, but that move would if it would have worked, would have cut some time off.

From another thread, in 'Sudoku variants', note that:

There are three levels of coupling in samurai:

none: the five individual puzzles can each be solved without reference to one another;

weak: at least one puzzle can be solved only by sharing solved clues with a neighbouring puzzle;

strong: at least one puzzle can be solved only by sharing pencil marks with a neighbouring puzzle.

The puzzle in question appears to have strong coupling: one puzzle can remove candidates from another.

HTH

Mike Metcalf
m_b_metcalf
2017 Supporter

Return to Help with puzzles and solving techniques